SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Annoying battery issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 02:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R230
Annoying battery issue

I have recently had a water logged interior that resulted in some corroded electrical components. These have now been replaced but I have now been left with an annoying battery issue. Every time I start my car I am presented with the convenience offline message as well as the clock being reset to 1200. After a short period of driving the message will disappear and all is good until I park up again. If I return back to the car again it seems that all the electrics are offline (central locking doesn’t work, no interior lights) until I start the car with the key again. Once the car is started again the clock is back to 1200 and the convenience offline message is back.

I have had the batteries tested and they are both good. I’m getting charge from the alternator (14.1 at both batteries while engine is running) and have no error messages from the battery controller when I run diagnostics. I have disconnected both batteries and then connected them back up in the recommended order as well as unplugging the battery controller for 20 minutes to reset it. Nothing makes a difference.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
I had the same issue, turns out to be a bad battery control module, it was starting to burn up too, might want to open your trunk and pull the liner back and check out the BCM.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,415 Likes on 2,589 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
This seems to me , is not a battery issue, this is intermittent or bad contact on some power source or its relay/s or fuse/s, to those items/devices you explained as dead until engine run for a short period.
Clock reset to 12:00 usually means power was totally lost at some point to the clock.

The repair or replacement of parts you mentioned could have failed to cover/replace a 100% of the water damaged components.

For example, let say the workshop replaced a corroded fuse block/housing but did not change the wiring harness to and from the fuse block.
TO is the upstream of that fuse block.... its main power, FROM are devices connected or served by that fuse block. All these has connectors.
Connectors can corrode at the metallic terminals itself or it may corrode at the wire to terminal crimpings.
Even the fuse legs can corrode.

This kind of troubleshooting takes time and patience and a complete wiring schematic and fuse assignment chart to speed up the job.

YOU WROTE :
AA. Every time I start my car I am presented with the convenience offline message as well as the clock being reset to 1200. BB. After a short period of driving the message will disappear and all is good until I park up again. CC.If I return back to the car again it seems that all the electrics are offline (central locking doesn’t work, no interior lights) until I start the car with the key again. Once the car is started again the clock is back to 1200 and the convenience offline message is back.

If going by AA only , it seems the 12 volt supply to those devices are "lost" when you turned off the engine and removed the key, where by they are supposedly from a constant power.
If going by BB only, and since you mentioned AFTER A SHORT PERIOD OF DRIVING yada yada ITS ALL GOOD .... you are describing as though as a low voltage situation which after a short drive and with the alternator feeding power, the low voltage situation becomes normal or minimum normal operating voltage and those devices work again.

If we combined AA , BB and CC, what may happen is when alternator is not running at approx 14.1 volt, those devices you mentioned was having voltage below its minimum requirement and it is in OFF state, like zero power.
Remember, a clock would be running from a constant power supply and so are power lock and interior light.

If I were you, I will find the fuse/s which feed power to those 3 devices and measure for low voltage when engine is off and see how much voltage rise when engine been running a while and is still running.
Corossion creates resistance.

If zero voltage to the fuse/s for those 3 devices when engine is OFF, then somewhere up stream there is probably a relay which could be bad or also effected by low voltage on its coil.

Good luck troubleshooting
Old 08-18-2018, 10:22 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by mobymidge
Every time I start my car I am presented with the convenience offline message...
Prior to starting the car I would measure the voltage on the rear battery. If it is significantly greater than 10.8 volts, then I presume the battery control module is faulty.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R230
Thanks everyone. I followed bobterry99's advice and checked the battery voltage again and found only 2 volts on the consumer battery. I have tried charging the battery but my CTEK kept going into error mode. I have now returned the battery and had it confirmed as defective. This is a surprise considering the battery is less than 10 months old. The one thing I have learnt is that testing the batteries while still in the car and connected can give false results as the battery shop pointed out that when I had the consumer battery tested it may have actually been reading the main battery in the engine bay.

Anyway, the battery has been replaced under warranty and all is good.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 189 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
Which Ctek are you using? For some reason, MB (dis)qualifies it’s own brand battery chargers for certain cars. Of course, these are re-labelled Ctek chargers, and the equivalent of the Ctek XS 0.8 model is not okay-ed for the SL350, on the MB accessories site. There’s no clarification for not sanctioning a charger for certain models.

Does anyone think that certain modern Ctek trickle chargers may actually damage battery/electronic components? Capacity seems no issue, provided one has time (and the battery is not seriously depleted).

Last edited by Frederick NL; 09-15-2018 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Typing error
Old 12-04-2018, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 189 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
ctek

Originally Posted by Frederick NL
Which Ctek are you using? For some reason, MB (dis)qualifies it’s own brand battery chargers for certain cars. Of course, these are re-labelled Ctek chargers, and the equivalent of the Ctek XS 0.8 model is not okay-ed for the SL350, on the MB accessories site. There’s no clarification for not sanctioning a charger for certain models.

Does anyone think that certain modern Ctek trickle chargers may actually damage battery/electronic components? Capacity seems no issue, provided one has time (and the battery is not seriously depleted).
Folks, anyone?