SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Transmission Shift Lever leak - Bushing Replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 02:11 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
SL55 AMG, Audi S6 V8TT, Audi Q7 3.0 SC
Question Transmission Shift Lever leak - Bushing Replacement?

Hello All!

I am dealing with a newly discovered leak on my transmission. I recently bought the car (2003 SL55)
and since the transmission pan was wet with some AT fluid drops on it, i decided to replace the AT pan gasket and filter and refresh the fluid.
I also replaced the round AT electrical connector since it was pretty wet inside. Installed a new OEM connector. Everything got nicely sealed and cleaned.

Well.... unfortunately after i instilled the new seal on the pan and refilled the transmission with fluid, there was still a small leak/drip from the driver side of the transmission. I discovered that AT fluid was coming from above the actual pan gasket. More specifically, i isolated the leak to the Shift Lever on the side of the transmission. Looks like there is a bushing there that occasionally leaks on these transmissions.

Here is a diagram. I am referring to parts # 30 and #25. I suspect the seal is bad.

My question is.... has anyone here fixed this on their car? How difficult of a project will be this, given the location of the lever?

Is this a DIY procedure on the R230..... or i need a shop to drop the transmission and do all the work? The seal itself cost only $3-4.

Thank you in advance!

Old 09-12-2018, 11:06 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Answered on benzworld, too:

http://benzbits.com/r230/ShiftRodLinkage.pdf

It is that part #30.