Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camry 2.0, CLK320, SL350, SL63
Comand works by itself but doesn't communicate with my car

Hi:

Car is MY04 R230 SL350.

My Comand’s LCD screen got bubbles and whitened background. I then happened to find a JP version Comand. I tried to replace it but it didn’t fit.

But that’s not the problem. The problem is when I put back my original Comand, Comand can't communicate with the car. I lost “waken up by ignition” function and steering wheel controls.

Symptoms:

- Comand can be turned on by pressing power button. But won’t turn on when turning ignition.

- Likewise, Comand won’t shutdown when ignition is turned off. I must manually press power button to turn it off.

- Steering wheel controls don’t work.

- Instrument cluster doesn’t display track info. The audio menu is showing “--------“

- No malfunction msg on inst. cluster

- Able to manually play CD, AUX, FM/AM. But it shuts down every 15 minutes.

As you guys may already know, we can turn on Comand to listen to music while car is off. But it only allows certain period of time. To use it afterwards, we need to turn it on again.

It seems that Comand doesn’t recognize my car. Especially the behavior of shutting down every 15 min makes me think that Comand is unlinked from my car. At least it doesn't know my car's ignition status.

Any thought on this? Is there some kind of required mechanism involving Mercedes diag computer whenever Comand is disconnected and connected back on?

Thank you in advance for any input.

David
Old 09-21-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camry 2.0, CLK320, SL350, SL63
LOL...

Just figured it out. My C2 connector (which contains pins for CANBus communication) was not firmly plugged into the socket.
It needs to be inserted in certain angle and you should avoid moving the wires afterwards.
Tip: Insert C2 connector first so you got more room to maneuver.
I also recommend having another person holding Comand for you. Otherwise it's easy to ruin the trim around it.

Best regards

David
Old 09-21-2018, 11:48 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yep, those are all things controlled over the CAN bus. Glad you found the solution.