SL/R230: Struts...OEM or A/M?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 SL63 AMG
Struts...OEM or A/M?

Hi guys...
Forgive my naivety...I am only 1year into my '09 SL550, and have just come upon my first wear-n-tear replacement. Being a complete n00b1e to the model, let-alone brand, feel free to correct me if I should take a huge bite outta my foot or have a complete brain-tart.
I was told the ball-joint that is part of the driver's front strut assembly needs replaced and can only be by replacing the strut. True?
My first instinct is to go OEM, merely because this isn't some 'economy' 4-banger, and I'm typically of the 'you get out of something what you put into it' mindset. However, after a bit of inquiring, both online and off, my success has only been to attain a moderate migraine.
Being an auto-leveling suspension system that adjusts the struts via info from the height sensors, is it necessary to replace both front at the same time? Not a huge deal, just curious...will most likely replace both anyway.
I've found that the new OEM strut only comes with a 12-month, 12k warranty and is usually the most expensive. This is my 'summer' car and will usually only see 3-4k/year...so what a waste of the other 11-12k. Yet, some refurb/remans come with lifetime warranties.
The most popular refurb/remans I have found are the Arnott brand. I know nothing of the company, it's product quality in-general let-alone vs OEM, nor it's warranty practices (hard to get replaced upon fault or easy).
Is the installation of these moderately straight-forward (DIY), or is it overly complex and technical due to the nature of the beast?
Any personal experience with brands, warranties, and installation is greatly appreciated!
FIY: My SL is the base 550 ABC without the sport package.
Thanks guys...
PEACE!

My apologies if this is covered elsewhere...I searched strut replacement and only came up with 3 threads.

Last edited by kryspyx; 10-27-2018 at 04:25 PM.