SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Aftermarket Radio Experiences...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2008 SL550 R230, 2004 E320 W211
Aftermarket Radio Experiences...

Hi

I am interested in knowing other's first hand experiences in installing an aftermarket radio in their R230. There are other existing threads debating which radio is better and should you or should not delete the factory amp/speakers, etc.. But I would simply like to see first hand experience from those that have replaced their radio with an aftermarket unit, hopefully with the following information:
1. what radio did you use,
2. did you install yourself or have a shop do it
3. approximate cost
4. a picture of the installed radio
4. pros and cons of your system (i.e. what worked and what didn't)
5. any issues during the install (did you keep factory amp, did you keep optical fiber connections or rewire or use some adapter, did you keep steering wheel controls, etc.)
6. other issues?

Personally, I got interested in installing one of the Seicane Android units because it looks somewhat factory and has a lot of options being an android unit (I know there are issues with this and people have had different experiences regarding quality, etc.), but apparently the Seicane units won't fit my 2008 SL550 (according to them) because I don't have the trim that goes around the factory command unit (I didn't realize there was a difference until I looked closely at the pictures on the Seicane website)?

Regardless, again I'm not looking for debate, just first hand experiences from those that replaced their radio with something else and and how it went.

Thanks

Lee
2008 SL550