SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Warning from Dealer Tech! Fuel Injector Failures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts
1988 BMW M5, 1989 BMW M3, 1979 Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9, 2006 SL55 AMG w/ P30 Performance Pack
Warning from Dealer Tech! Fuel Injector Failures

Hi guys,

I just realized the initial post I made did not go thru, so just going to cut to the chase. (There was lot of cussing and crying in it!) The SL lost power and went into limp mode blowing smoke. Oh what luck, I was 2 blocks from the dealership! My indie shop was on vacation already. So here was the diagnosis from the tech. I just cut and pasted.- they use all caps in their communication to the service managers. Note: I got a 20% discount and charged less labor! I love this dealership! On funny note, I also received my SBC extended 25 year warranty check this week! So this repair was almost free.

[QUOTE]I REMOVED SPARK PLUGS AND FOUND CURRENTLY CYL#2 AND#3 INJECTORS HAVE FAILED AND FILLED THE CYLINDERS WITH FUEL CAUSING A HYDROLOCK SITUATION. I INSPECTED THE CYLINDERS AND REMOVED FUEL FROM THE INTAKE AND CYLINDERS. I FOUND NO VISIBLE SIGNS OF ENGINE DAMAGE. PER YOUR AND THE CUSTOMER REQUEST I REINSTALLED THE CUSTOMERS SPARK PLUGS. I ONLY REPLACED THE TWO FAILED INJECTORS PER YOUR EMAIL REQUEST. EVEN THOUGH I RECOMMEND ALL OF THE INJECTORS, IT LOOKS LIKE THE CUSTOMER GOT VERY LUCKY THIS TIME. WHEN THE NEXT INJECTOR FAILS IT COULD EASILY DESTROY THE ENTIRE ENGINE. WITH THE NEW INJECTORS IN THE CAR AND AFTER CLEANING OUT THE FUEL IN THE ENGINE I WAS ABLE TO START AND RUN THE VEHICLE. I DON’T HEAR ANY PROBLEM AND THERE ARE NO MISFIRES. THERE IS A STORED FAULT FOR CATALYST ON THE RIGHT BANK, THIS IS MOST LIKELY DUE TO ALL OF THE FUEL THAT WENT INTO THE EXHAUST. IT IS POSSIBLE THE FAULT WILL RETURN AND THE RIGHT CAT WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED. II ADJUSTED THE LABOR TIME TO ACCOUNT FOR ONLY REPLACING ONE FUEL INJECTOR.

So, I have owned many BMW's and other fuel injected cars. I take good care of my cars and have NEVER has a Bosch fuel injector fail or leak. My M5 that I have owned for 31 years never had a failure before I rebuilt the engine at 287K miles. Are multiple fuel injector failures common on our cars? Is just my bad luck? This was a scary situation because I know how much a new engine cost! I have 93K on the clock and car was dealer serviced from day 1 - I'm the second owner. Thanks,
Old 12-13-2018, 09:30 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
Isolated case for sure, I haven't heard of any other 55 having the same problem yet. How did the injectors fail? Usually when they fail they stop pumping fuel into the cylinder, I don't see it failing by dumping fuel into it. Unless the nozzle itself fell apart and just dumping fuel. Can you ask the tech for the old injector or at least see what it looks like?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:48 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
2 injectors failing in the open position at the same time? I'd be having my ECU looked at immediately because I would think the odds of a physical failure of that nature on 2 injectors at the same time would be exceedingly low. A double failure of that type on adjacent cylinders would suggest a voltage spike that fried the injector circuits. I'm very interested in hearing the Tech reactions to this?
Old 12-14-2018, 12:50 AM

1988 BMW M5, 1989 BMW M3, 1979 Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9, 2006 SL55 AMG w/ P30 Performance Pack
Of course guys. Going back in the morning to talk to him if I can. They are usually in a different building and talk to customers thru the service manager. I have noticed tonight a weird issue that has happened a couple of times this year. Sitting at a light, the idle would suddenly drop and the car would shudder mildly for about 5 seconds then stabilize. Very rare occurrence so I completely forgot to mention it to them. I figured this was because of the failing injectors. Since it has happened again, I will mention it to them. To me it felt like a vacuum leak. Thanks for replying and I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:53 AM

I would think checking the ECU was part of the troubleshooting they did for 2 days! I'm hoping the would have checked to see if the injectors were fried or physical condition. I have to assume they think I'm just an ignorant consumer who wouldn't understand this stuff but I do.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
For what it's worth sometimes after hard driving and at the light, the car seems to want to go forward..idk if it's similiar to your shudder. any fuel smells on start up?
Old 12-16-2018, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
For what it's worth sometimes after hard driving and at the light, the car seems to want to go forward..idk if it's similiar to your shudder. any fuel smells on start up?
No fuel smells. The car is 12 years old. I have to consider so many factors that can cause this, Vacuum leaks from 12 year old hoses, fuel pump and/or filter, coil packs, spark plug wires, crank sensor and O2 sensors are all components I have not yet replaced. It has not done this weird and random idle "fumble" after a 200 mile trip to Los Angeles and back yesterday. By shudder I mean, the engine feels like it's going to stall -so no urge to go forward at all. :-)

I have not heard back from the tech on the questions about the physical condition of the old injectors.

Thanks,