SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Lowering and alignment question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL65 AMG, Motorcycle
Lowering and alignment question

Hi there I just got in r 230 last month and I have had premature tire wear on the inside of the tires. The previous owner lowered the car.

my question is alignment dependent on the ride height of the vehicle? To my understanding when you lower your car the camber needs to be adjusted. Being that the SL allows for different ride heights, Does the alignment have to be set for a certain ride height or does that not really matter? Because the upper height and the lowest height can differ from something like 2 inches if I recall which I would imagine can severely affect the inner where of the tire given the lower height.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:17 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Most will agree the lower you go, the more negative camber you get. And yes, you do need to set the alignment for the height you plan to use most of the time.
The hard part is setting the camber, as MB only allows about 0.5 degrees adjustment using 'camber/caster bolts' in the front only.

There are aftermarket eccentric bushings, or adjustable suspension links, that do allow all the adjustment you need in the rear.
I used the bolts in the front, and links in the rear, to get camber under control and minimize the inside tire wear.

Some research is needed to keep the cost reasonable as the options vary a lot in price and quality.
I don't have the links to them right now, but some forum searches for camber adjustment will show the options..
Old 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL65 AMG, Motorcycle
Thanks

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I’ll have to decide on the height I want and adjust