SL/R230: New SL500 owner with noob questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 01:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 MB SL500
New SL500 owner with noob questions

Hi all,

I recently came across a 2003 SL500 with 97k miles that was available cheap due to some unique circumstances. I decided to buy and flip it ( I only paid 5k). But after I had taken possession, a weird thing happened - I sort of fell in love with the car. I have always thought the R230 was one of Mercedes' finest designs and I don't know if I'll ever get another chance to own one as inexpensively as this one so I'm gonna keep it for a while and see how I like it. One of the main reasons I felt confident in doing this, is the plethora of DIY information available on forums like these. I am the used car manager for a local group of auto dealerships and a DIY wrencher of medium skill level so hopefully my car will never have to see the inside of a Mercedes dealership

Of course there are a few "issues".

1) when I got it, the driver side window regulator was blown out. I ordered, a replacement on Ebay, installed it and it works ok, but the window keeps snagging and curling and pinching the window seal when it closes. Is this a sign of incorrect installation (I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly), or does it need a new seal? I also can't get the window to synchronize. I have tried rolling up the windows and waiting anywhere between 1 and 10 seconds and it doesn't seem to want to accept the programming. Additionally the rear window (same side) will not close all the way leaving about a half inch gap inconveniently located right near my ear.

2) I noticed that the rear driver side sits about an inch lower than the passenger side. There are no warning lights for the ABC system and everything appears to be working normally except for the ride height. However the car doesn't really feel planted in the rear and I suspect it has to do with this problem. My initial suspicion would be that the rear valve block needs a rebuild, but I'm not sure if it's something else like the shock itself?

3) I am leaning toward ordering a full STAR setup (clone) to help me with troubleshooting now and in the future. Here is my question: Can I reprogram the windows through the software? Also, will it be able to help me diagnose my suspension issue? If so I might just order it before I continue on.

4) I figured I'd do an ABC flush, Oil change, and change the spark plugs (sometimes the engine cranks for 4-5 second before firing up) and the air filter. I suppose I should wait to do the ABC flush since I might have to rebuild or swap some suspension components soon. Any other things I should be looking at preventatively?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions. I'm just an excited new owner who can't wait to figure out the right direction and start swinging wrenches

Cheers,

Matt
Old 01-15-2019, 03:37 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Nice buy on a 'new' classic! I can answer a couple of these, since I've done them myself.

Window regulators break their plastic parts a lot. Very common.
The window regulator can be adjusted so the window does not pinch the weatherstrip. There are 2 stops that are accessed from under the door.
You have to lay on the ground and look up to see the plugs. 2 plugs are the bolts you used to bolt in the regulator; the other 2 have adjustment 'stop' screws in them using the same E Torx socket.
Note the bolts holding the regulator in have slots to adjust the window in or out at the top (when closed).

Try moving the adjustment stop screws a couple turns until you figure out which way they are going, then adjust to suit. Check against the passenger side for reference.
Use the mounting bolts to pivot the top of the window in/out to get the proper fit. This is easy when the inside door panel is off, so it might be a fight with them on.

Once this is right, the rear window will likely close correctly too.
You can run this check with the top down, and use the driver door window switches. Lift the switch with the driver window closed, and the rear will close too.
If it doesn't, there may be something still out of adjustment.

As for the corner sitting low...if it does this when the car is running, then the height sensor in the shock is likely bad, or in need of a calibration via SDS. It could also be the ride height sensor is out of adjustment. Consider both.

In my opinion, the clone SDS is a first tool to buy for this car, and invaluable for any MB. Get one if you plan to own this car. It will pay for itself in one day.

Last - search for a buyers guide to the R230. There are a lot of items you may, or may not, want to do proactively. I can throw out 10 items to investigate/fix.
"All in" preventative work may cost another $4-5K, so choose what you would like to fix for reliability, then go have fun!
The following users liked this post:
Mattleycrue76 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 MB SL500
kbob, thanks for your reply. If you listen closely, you can hear the sound of the smack from my palm hitting my forehead. As I was reading your post I remembered that the bottom of the regulator is bolted into slots. Of course this will likely be part or all of the solution. As to the Diagnostics, I see a bunch of them on Aliexpress. Are there any known vendors that sell a good working product? I'll roll the dice if necessary, but if someone has a recommendation of where to buy I'm all ears. Sounds like I should get the software before I tear into the suspension mechanically.

Lastly, I hear ya on the maintenance issue. This will be mostly a fun weekend car and not a year round daily driver so I can deal with breakdowns. I just want to make sure I don't overlook obvious things or things that will cause other damage down the line (like say not maintaining the ABC fluid.)
Old 01-15-2019, 05:38 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Matt,
There are a number of threads here on what SDS to buy, and from whom. I bought from a fellow forum member, so I don't have good info on where to shop.
I would spring for a C4 version instead of the C3. The LAN cable is so much better than RS232 Comm cable.

Honestly, if this were my car, I'd change the trans fluid, service the brakes, ABC, rear end and power steering fluid, change the "park lock" in the shifter, replace the motor and trans mount, check the front suspension bushings, check the pump for the top for fluid, check the valve cover gaskets for leaks, clean the drains, new plugs and filters, and THEN run the SDS to see what else is wrong!