SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Trouble Pressurizing ABC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL65 AMG, Motorcycle
Trouble Pressurizing ABC

Hi there I recently replace front and rear main accumulators on my car. I have a STAR computer. I get an error now saying pressure too low. It looks like Pentosin is able to leak from the ABC reservoir cap/return line/filter holder.

I am am trying to pressurize the reservoir through the dip stick hole but I think air keeps escaping through the reservoir cap. That cap has been opened and closed very tightly many times but air still seems to come through (and oil I’m sure when engine is on).

I am am at a loss here. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2019, 06:48 PM
Banned

Received 389 Likes on 308 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
If you allowed the reservoir to run dry, then perhaps filling it and pressurizing would accomplish something. Otherwise, I presume you are wasting your time.

Intuitively, you should investigate the low pressure error. Obviously you should look at the pressure at idle. You might also observe it during a Rodeo, and you might also observe it building from zero once the engine has started. It's possible your pressure is fine and you simply have a sluggish pressure sensor...
Old 03-30-2019, 07:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL65 AMG, Motorcycle
Thanks for the reply. I did not mention the whole car was sagging very low.

I did a rodeo rodeo earlier with 0-1 bar. Pump was always good never sagging ever just air in system (because replaced accumulators) so I had trouble getting back to where I was before.

I replaced filter, tightened the return line cap. Reservoir has always been topped off to proper levels. I read somewhere online about completing CPR on the return line squeezing it and pressurizing the reservoir tank.

I squeezed return line probably 75 times and it got tougher to squeeze with car on (air trapped in there?).

I did another rodeo just now I had ~190 bar before and ~120 bar during.

It think air is purged from pump now car sits level and appropriate. I’ll do another rodeo, top off fluid and keep my fingers crossed.