SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Keyless system questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 133 Likes on 98 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Keyless system questions.

Hi All

I noticed the other day that when I went to open the passenger door, I just touched the handle and it unlocked, however on my drivers door I have to pull it slightly first. I know they get worn out, however is there any advise to remove and check the connection inside the handle?

Second question is can someone remind what the little rubber buttons are on the handle, I press them but do not see anything happen?

Lastly is the remote window / close function with the remote, I understand that you are suppose to press and continue pressing and pointing the fob at the little sensor on the door handle, however for me nothing happens. PS. are you also able to lower the roof in the fashion?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2019, 12:27 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
There were two style door handles - one that was touch sensitive, the other had a small pad in the handle that required pressure to activate. It sounds like maybe someone upgraded your driver's side to the touch style. The buttons on the handles are to lock the car. They often get dirty inside and stop working. You may be able to press in on the button and "manipulate" it to get it working again. The IR sensor in the door handle is for opening and closing via the Smartkey fob. it has to be pretty close (2 feet or less) and aimed exactly, and you have to hold down the lock (to close) or unlock (to open) button during the whole process. Unfortunately, the IR sensors in the door handle tend to fail. My advice would be to get a SmartTop module which makes this a double or triple-tap function and uses the RF interface which is more reliable. It also has other neat features like one touch of the top controller button to open or close, and the ability to operate the top while driving (low speeds - like 25mph)
Old 04-16-2019, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rudeney
There were two style door handles - one that was touch sensitive, the other had a small pad in the handle that required pressure to activate. It sounds like maybe someone upgraded your driver's side to the touch style. The buttons on the handles are to lock the car. They often get dirty inside and stop working. You may be able to press in on the button and "manipulate" it to get it working again. The IR sensor in the door handle is for opening and closing via the Smartkey fob. it has to be pretty close (2 feet or less) and aimed exactly, and you have to hold down the lock (to close) or unlock (to open) button during the whole process. Unfortunately, the IR sensors in the door handle tend to fail. My advice would be to get a SmartTop module which makes this a double or triple-tap function and uses the RF interface which is more reliable. It also has other neat features like one touch of the top controller button to open or close, and the ability to operate the top while driving (low speeds - like 25mph)
Thanks Rudeney.

Both door handles are the same and do not have any small pads to squeeze just smooth, The passenger side unlocks by touching, on the drivers side however you you have to pull the handle slightly then it unlocks, you cannot just touch it to unlock.

The rubber square outer buttons I noticed were loose and I could pull them back to see the microswitch button inside, so probably water is ingressed which may have also stopped the infra-red sensor working too. I know how they should work from previous Mercedes, so perhaps I will strip the handles down and check them, buy new, or as you said get a SmartTop module.

Thanks
A1EK
Old 04-16-2019, 10:03 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
It's strange that you have to pull the passenger handle because if it's capactive touch sensitive, movement should not matter. Then again, if there is a loose wire in the handle, ulling it may be causing it to make contact, so that could be the issue. Here's a thread about the IR sensors:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w20...placement.html

I did this on the C240 and CLK550 and it worked well, except the C240 quit again after a few months. I think it's not always the soldering, but the sensor itself can go bad.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's strange that you have to pull the passenger handle because if it's capactive touch sensitive, movement should not matter. Then again, if there is a loose wire in the handle, ulling it may be causing it to make contact, so that could be the issue. Here's a thread about the IR sensors:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w20...placement.html

I did this on the C240 and CLK550 and it worked well, except the C240 quit again after a few months. I think it's not always the soldering, but the sensor itself can go bad.
Good advice thanks.

Gut feeling is that the water ingress has caused the PCB or connections to go bad, as I noticed some verdigris on the micro-switch behind the rubber button. I will strip down and see if its repairable.

Reading the user guide, I think pulling the handle with the key in your pocket triggers the doors to unlock.

Thanks
Alex
Old 04-16-2019, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by A1EK
I noticed the other day that when I went to open the passenger door, I just touched the handle and it unlocked, however on my drivers door I have to pull it slightly first. I know they get worn out, however is there any advise to remove and check the connection inside the handle?
Have you tried just giving a gentle stroke to the inside of the handle? I notice the same thing when I open the passenger door for my wife (with my right hand) it opens right away, but when I drive alone and open the driver's door (with my left hand) it seems to take two pulls. Today I was just slower and more deliberate with my touch - again, a stroke of the inside of the handle - and that unlocked it.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:30 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Sometimes try to grab and pull the handle too quickly. I've had to learn to just slow down slightly to give KeylessGO time to react to the touch sensor. BTW, with KeylessGO, the door locks use both a pneumatic and electrical actuation. Normally, it uses the pneumatic system to lock and unlock so it's silent, but that would be too slow for KeylessGO, so it uses an electrical servo to quickly unlock the door.
The following users liked this post:
eddieo45 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sometimes try to grab and pull the handle too quickly. I've had to learn to just slow down slightly to give KeylessGO time to react to the touch sensor. BTW, with KeylessGO, the door locks use both a pneumatic and electrical actuation. Normally, it uses the pneumatic system to lock and unlock so it's silent, but that would be too slow for KeylessGO, so it uses an electrical servo to quickly unlock the door.
Just an update, I took the handle off, fairly easy, ( more tricky to put back), and I was hoping to be able to open the sensor part, however it's bonded together. I will live with having to pull the handle gently just now (yeah I know, 1st world problems!), Then will replace when I get bored☺️
Old 04-29-2019, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by A1EK
Just an update, I took the handle off, fairly easy, ( more tricky to put back), and I was hoping to be able to open the sensor part, however it's bonded together. I will live with having to pull the handle gently just now (yeah I know, 1st world problems!), Then will replace when I get bored☺️
so, have you confirmed that the door doe not unlock when you simply grip the handle without pulling?
Old 04-29-2019, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by eddieo45
so, have you confirmed that the door doe not unlock when you simply grip the handle without pulling?
If I touch (not pull) the passenger side it unlocks. I have to pull the drivers side for the door to unlock, however for the first time ever today for a couple of times I just touched the drivers side and it unlocked without pulling it ! It unlocks by the 'motor' as you can hear the mechanical clunk, (same as the working passenger side).

Last edited by A1EK; 04-29-2019 at 04:20 PM.