SL/R230: Extended Warranty Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 SL550
Extended Warranty Thoughts?

Hi Everyone!

I've recently purchased '09 SL550 and thought I should join the forum!
I've always wanted to have R230 and now I've made it.
Plus, It's super good to be driving another MB. A classic roadster this time, not a sedan.

Anyway, Inspection was clean except a minor idler pulley noise. However, now that I'm owning 9 years old car, it is actually bothering me that it can break anytime. (even thought it only has 24000 miles on it.)
So, I've been looking into the extended warranty option.

I've got a quote for Fidelity Platinum for

3 year 36,000 miles $250 deductible = $4200
4 year, 48000 miles $250 ded = $5900
5 year, 60k miles $250 deductible = $7300

I am not sure if it'll be a good investment with the fact that the original previous owner has been taken this car to a local MB dealer every year for maintenance services and i'm not driving the car much. (possibly 6k miles per year)

Does anyone have an advise for the extended warranty?

It also would be really nice if you can share dealers who offers a good number for an extended warranty!!

Last edited by mb_hayden; 05-08-2019 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:39 AM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Former R230, W220 and W221 owner
Originally Posted by mb_hayden
Hi Everyone!

I've recently purchased '09 SL550 and thought I should join the forum!
I've always wanted to have R230 and now I've made it.
Plus, It's super good to be driving another MB. A classic roadster this time, not a sedan.

Anyway, Inspection was clean except a minor idler pulley noise. However, now that I'm owning 9 years old car, it is actually bothering me that it can break anytime. (even thought it only has 24000 miles on it.)
So, I've been looking into the extended warranty option.

I've got a quote for Fidelity Platinum for

3 year 36,000 miles $250 deductible = $4200
4 year, 48000 miles $250 ded = $5900
5 year, 60k miles $250 deductible = $7300

I am not sure if it'll be a good investment with the fact that the original previous owner has been taken this car to a local MB dealer every year for maintenance services and i'm not driving the car much. (possibly 6k miles per year)

Does anyone have an advise for the extended warranty?

It also would be really nice if you can share dealers who offers a good number for an extended warranty!!
Call your local dealer and see what 3rd party company they work with/recommend.

Make sure your ABC system is covered; (Tandem pump, struts, accumulators, ABC lines and hoses etc). Also ask if the vario roof is covered.

whatever company you choose, ask these questions and get your answers in writing
Old 05-08-2019, 06:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
1988 560SL, 2017 SL 450, and a few Corvettes
Google "Fidelity Platinum Complaints Scam" to see what others have said about the company. This is good research policy for many other items as well.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 SL550
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike
Google "Fidelity Platinum Complaints Scam" to see what others have said about the company. This is good research policy for many other items as well.
It's weird that I've opened the same thread twice. But.. anyway, I've heard some comments saying that they have never had any issues submitting claims and get approved. But, it seems like there are TONS of bad reviews on consumeraffairs.com..
My local mechanic told me he had no issue with Fidelity so far. I'm not defending the company but I am curious.. It would be so nice if you can share your experience!
Thanks
Old 05-09-2019, 10:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
1988 560SL, 2017 SL 450, and a few Corvettes
Originally Posted by mb_hayden
It's weird that I've opened the same thread twice. But.. anyway, I've heard some comments saying that they have never had any issues submitting claims and get approved. But, it seems like there are TONS of bad reviews on consumeraffairs.com..
My local mechanic told me he had no issue with Fidelity so far. I'm not defending the company but I am curious.. It would be so nice if you can share your experience!
Thanks
Sorry, but I don't have any experience with that or any other third-party extended warranty company. It's just a good way to research them. But if you do want to see hundreds of complaints about another such company, google "Penn Warranty Complaints Scam". But you'll also notice that many of the complaints are from lesser-educated, smaller-town consumers probably not reading the warranty's fine print, and expecting more than the company can deliver legally.

__________________________________________________ _________________
"...back to wall goes Berra, it is...over the fence, homerun, the Pirates win!!"