SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Voice command system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SL550
Voice command system

Everything on my 2008 SL550 Comand system seems to work with the exception of the voice control portion. Moving the lever forward to clear and then back to activate doesn't result in any audible confirmation. Telephone can be heard both ways, and all other audible functions, including navigation, work fine. I have checked the fuses and they are good. Do I NEED it to work? No, but if I own something I like it to work as intended!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 01-08-2020, 03:54 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2008 SL550 R230, 2004 E320 W211
@Brian SL550 , I have the same issue in my 2008 SL550, in fact it hasn't worked since I bought the car about a year and a half ago. Moving the lever has no affect on anything, but everything else on Comand works fine. I have checked fuses, connections, etc., and found nothing. I finally just gave up (I was told it wasn't that good anyway). I have not tried to test/investigate using STAR SDS yet, but that is probably my next step. I suspect either the lever switch is bad, or the voice command system is bad... If anyone has any other advice, please chime in.

As a side note, I recently installed the Amazon Echo Auto in another car, and I'm very happy with it ($49 on Amazon, but I paid about $30 before Christmas). It basically connects to your smart phone and car Bluetooth, and takes voice commands to your phone. It is great for making placing calls etc. and activating the navigation on your phone (but probably the same as "OK Google" or Siri commands). You can send other commands to your phone (i.e. play music or ask it questions), but since streaming doesn't work with the puck I have, I really only use it for placing calls hands free (again OK Google or Siri probably does this already). It was super easy to install as it just uses USB for power; the biggest issue is finding a good place to put it. Of course if you are paranoid about having an Alexa/Echo "always listening" in your car, this this is not the product for you, but this is really no different than your cell phone (Siri, OK Google, and even Samsung's Bixby are always listening for their wake word as well...). I am considering adding this to my R230...

If you have any success with getting your Voice Command functions working, please let me know.

Thanks

Lee

Last edited by Leej; 01-08-2020 at 04:13 PM.