SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Convertible top failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 10:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 SL500
Convertible top failure

Last weekend the convertible top on my car had a complete failure. Fluid is puking out from the center of the bumper cover. That part I can fix but I need to get everything buttoned back up. I was able to manually get the top to go back up and manually lock it into place. The trunk lid however, I'm lost. I know there is way to manually lock it, but the trunk has to be open from the other side to accomplish this. Because my trunk won't close at the front side, the back side won't open. Is there a way to override this and open the trunk on the back side? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL65 AMG, Motorcycle
use the blade on your key to open the trunk (insert it into the keyhole and twist), there will be two small tabs one on each side of the arms in the trunk (follow the plastic arms to the tab covers they are circular) pop those behind that is a bolt you will need to tighten to "lock" the trunk cover. It is deep in there so you will need a light

I had this same issue you just need a hex key I think it comes in the tool bag. tighten those all the way till you hear/feel a click (that should lock the lid in place) and then slowly close the trunk and you will be good to go.

Last edited by eatmycrackers; 09-13-2019 at 10:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Adi-Benz (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 11:59 AM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by eatmycrackers
use the blade on your key to open the trunk (insert it into the keyhole and twist), there will be two small tabs one on each side of the arms in the trunk (follow the plastic arms to the tab covers they are circular) pop those behind that is a bolt you will need to tighten to "lock" the trunk cover. It is deep in there so you will need a light

I had this same issue you just need a hex key I think it comes in the tool bag. tighten those all the way till you hear/feel a click (that should lock the lid in place) and then slowly close the trunk and you will be good to go.
That was the first thing I did. The key won't disengage it while the front of the trunk is not latched. I know about the tabs, just need to get the trunk open. I checked the backside of the latch, it may be able to be popped with a screwdriver. Imma check it out tomorrow when it's not so damn hot out.

Last edited by Blazeracer; 09-13-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:08 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by Blazeracer
That was the first thing I did. The key won't disengage it while the front of the trunk is not latched. I know about the tabs, just need to get the trunk open. I checked the backside of the latch, it may be able to be popped with a screwdriver. Imma check it out tomorrow when it's not so damn hot out.
I was able to open the back of the trunk with manual key with front popped open. Turn the key with one hand and squeeze the handle with the other. If you still can not open the trunk, try to lift the front of the trunk lid and get to the locks from there.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:48 PM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by alk247
I was able to open the back of the trunk with manual key with front popped open. Turn the key with one hand and squeeze the handle with the other. If you still can not open the trunk, try to lift the front of the trunk lid and get to the locks from there.
Ok, I didin't try with the key AND the handle. I'll try, if not I'll see if I can pop it from the backside. Thanks. Might make a video for the next guy. These cars and their hydraulics are getting old. It will happen again to someone else. Not a matter of if, but when.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:34 PM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by alk247
Right on!! That worked. Got everything buttoned up tight so I can work on fixing it now, again.