SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Headlights "black weather seal"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 11:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2007 SL65
Headlights "black weather seal"?

Guys (and girls) My-new-to-me SL obviously was in some kind of front minor end accident with some plastic bits and pieces broken. The owner cheaped out and patched it with JBWeld. Now I am needing to fix it properly. One headlight was obviously broken beyond repair (they tried and failed miserably). I need some feedback on what the headlights are suppose to be like. I ordered a replacement headlight that came with what I assume is a black weather seal as shown in the picture below on the new light. The old light did not have this black "weather seal" but has the brackets to hold one. I assume it was broken in the accident and they just threw it away. Then puzzling thing to me is the headlight on the other side, that does not appear broken, also does not have this black "weather seal." My question is: Did the original lights come with this black "weather seal" or not? Should I take it off of the new light or do I need to get a second light since it is also missing this black piece?

Broken light

New light
Old 12-18-2019, 12:58 AM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
R230
It’s the hood seal. Guess your old one had plastic tabs broken off and they just omitted it. All cars have L & R sets

Good Luck
The following users liked this post:
Swamp_Fox (12-18-2019)