SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: ABC to coilover conversions in UK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2020 | 10:39 AM

2003 SL500
ABC to coilover conversions in UK?

Hello all,

The ABC on my beloved 2003 SL500 has so far behaved itself (after a pump replacement), but I am gathering information about coilover conversions in advance of the inevitable. I see that there are at least two high quality conversion kits on the market, but am wondering whether forum participants have any experience with having this conversion done in the United Kingdom, which is where I am. Note that I am not concerned about ride quality, as I normally drive with the ABC in sport mode, and even that feels a tad soft to me. With thanks,

TS

Last edited by Ted Schrecker; 02-02-2020 at 10:40 AM. Reason: need to specify location
Old 02-02-2020 | 12:44 PM

Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
I think you should do some more reading here and on the other forums about coilover conversions.

You said that you're not concerned about "ride quality", but then said the existing "sport mode is too soft", which means you equate ride quality with suspension stiffness. Whne most of us talk aboput ride quality for coilover conversion we refer to the actual handling of the car after the conversion, not ride stiffness.

Without proper sway bars, the handlingg will be ****, to put it bluntly. If you are going to do the conversion, make sure you do it right, which means you need to use sway bars. In the EU, Mercedes sold the SL350 withour ABC, and that means you can probably get the sway bars off a Sl350, and fit them to the SL500, however my understanding is that the front sway bar will need to have some sort of spacer to fit the larger engine, but the rear will fit as is.

Anyway, bottom line is if you're going to do the conversion, do it right, with sway bars.