SL/R230: SDS = DAS = XENTRY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2003 SL500, 1991 500SL
SDS = DAS = XENTRY?

A really BIG program installed itself on my laptop this morning. I am 99.9% sure it is "Star Diagnosis" (I won't explain the .1%).

Something seems odd. I sort of expected to find a program called Star Diagnosis but there is nothing called that. What I've got is a *folder* in the Start Menu called STAR DIAGNOSIS and within that is just one program called "DAS". When I start DAS I get a main screen with XENTRY in big letters and under that in much smaller letter reads "Diagnosis Assistance System DAS".

This is more than a little confusing. Are DAS and Star Diagnosis the same thing? I've seen the term XENTRY before. Is it just another name for a version of DAS/Star Diagnosis? And on a '98 S420 DAS stands for "Drive Authorization System". More confusion. It doesn't matter I'm just trying to understand what I've got.

When I get my C3 later this week the first thing I want to do is an oil change. Obviously I have to update the flexible service system when I'm done, but I don't see how to do that. I'd guess it is in "Instrument cluster with maintenance interval display", but all I could find is an "Oil change table." Where would I find the fss, please?
Old 03-01-2020, 11:45 AM

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
Well, first of all, the program did not install itself, you started the installation by double clicking the setup program. Secondly, Xentry is the name that Mercedes uses for their complete diagnostic and troubleshooting suite of software, which also includes the WIS/ASRA and EPC module. Yes DAS is the Star diagnostic system. Just because it's acronym is the same as other acronyms used is irrelevant.

Frankly, if you don't understand or are confused by the terms used maybe you shouldn't be using this system without someone's guidance, otherwise you could do more damage than good. There are people here that are familiar with it and can help.

On a side note, you do not need a Xentry to reset you FSS interval, there are methods that can be used which are specific to various models that are done through the MFD controls in the car.

I know you're posting in the R230 forum, but you mentioned a '98 S420, and you don't mention any specific cars in your profile. Post more information about your specific cars and we'll be able to give you more information.
The following users liked this post:
Global777 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-01-2020, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2003 SL500, 1991 500SL
For now I'm running DAS Sim to familiarize myself with things.

I updated my profile to show what I have now: an '03 SL500 and a '91 500SL. Ten years ago I had a '98 S420 and have had other models between then and now.

I know when an "A" or "B" service the owners manual explains how to reset the message. But this car is relatively new to me and I want to perform an oil change without waiting for those services to become due.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:37 PM

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
Originally Posted by Seven Out
For now I'm running DAS Sim to familiarize myself with things.

I updated my profile to show what I have now: an '03 SL500 and a '91 500SL. Ten years ago I had a '98 S420 and have had other models between then and now.

I know when an "A" or "B" service the owners manual explains how to reset the message. But this car is relatively new to me and I want to perform an oil change without waiting for those services to become due.
To simply reset your oil change indicator (or if you simply do an oil change and want to reset the interval counter), do this:
  1. Turn the ignition to the second position, but don't start the car.
  2. Using the UP/DOWN arrows on the steering wheel, press then until you see the wrench (FSS indicator) on the left MFD. The right MFD should show the remaining time left until the next change.
  3. Press and hold the reset button between the gauges for about 4 seconds. until the message “DO YOU WANT TO RESET SERVICE INTERVAL? CONFIRM BY USING RESET BUTTON” is displayed
  4. Press and hold the reset button again until you hear a beep, and the interval is reset (usually to 10,000 miles).
That's it.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:39 PM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
Circa 1992 Mercedes introduced the HHT (Hand Held Tester) which connected to a proprietary 38-socket connector in the engine compartment. This performed advanced diagnostic functions and replaced earlier, primitive "blink code" systems.
In '98 with the arrival of the W220 S-Class Mercedes introduced a considerably more capable PC-based system called "DAS". With the inclusion of an application called "HHT-WIn" this had backward compatability with earlier cars by emulating in software the hardware of the HHT.

As best I can tell the last model which is covered by DAS is the W204 introduced in 2007. New models brought to market after that date are diagnosed with software called XENTRY. XENTRY does not supercede DAS -- they are separate packages.

In viewing various WIS documents over the years which pertain to the R230 I can't recall ever seeing a reference to DAS, and any mention of the diagnostic system I've seen is referred to as Star Diagnosis. So I believe Star Diagnosis can be used interchangeably with any of the names of the three diagnostic packages.

As to the oil change, see if your software has this menu path: Control unit groups -> Information and communication -> ICM -> Control unit adaptations -> ASSYST settings -> Perform oil change.

I'm curious if you have the "Developer Kit" enabled with your software. If you do, then at the bottom of the ICM list of sub menus you will see an item named "Diagnosis to plant specifications."