SL/R230: Why??? - was a thread removed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 07:14 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2008 R320 CDI 4MATIC
Why??? - was a thread removed?

As stated in Title.

A postings with a count of 40 replies appears to have been removed such as "sanitize" - CENSORSHIP!

Why?

"Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance"

W. Clement Stone

Last edited by Joseph~; 03-07-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:18 AM

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
Because pMercury has friends in high places that clean up his messes. It's a bunch of crap, and if you ask me, I'll probably be banned too for standing up to him. But I don't own this board, and I'm not a moderator, and they have the power to do whatever they want, right or wrong.

If I had been a moderator, pMercury would have been gone a long time ago for breaking nearly every rule on this board, but instead he's still here and others have been kicked off. Fair right??
Old 03-07-2020, 10:10 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2003 SL500, 1991 500SL
Originally Posted by Joseph~
A postings with a count of 40 replies appears to have been removed such as "sanitize" - CENSORSHIP!
Are you referring to the thread that reviewed the Foxwell NT510 Elite? That one hasn't been removed, but it has been moved and is now a "sticky".

Originally Posted by Dudeman
Because pMercury has friends in high places that clean up his messes.
He and I got sideways with each other a week or so ago. He wrote a reply to me stating that free software had a trojan. (Do all? Some?) So I replied that the person who supplied me with the software got it from him. Next he denied that he was supplying free Star Diagnosis, and another reply proved that he was. So I was lied to and made to believe a trojan was on my PC when he knew I had none. That entire exchange has been "sanitized", as you say.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:24 AM

2008 R320 CDI 4MATIC
WHAT WE HAVE IS CENSORSHIP!

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient."

Old 03-07-2020, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
I think it's natural to remove any post which did not relate to the Foxwell in the course of making the thread a sticky. So that could explain Seven's posts disappearing.

It's not uncommon for posts to be removed from political discussion forums. But cars? That's unheard of, and absent seriously egregious circumstances, it is inexcusable.

I haven't seen any evidence of censorship here, but if it exists, I'm gone and will post exclusively on Benz World. Compared to this forum it's a snooze fest over there, but you've got Rodney/Rudeney posting there regularly, and he may know more about the R230 than anyone in the southeastern U.S. I can't recall a misdiagnosis on that forum (and I can not say that about ours here, unfortunately.)

If Dudeman or anyone else has information they are not able to share openly on the forum, I would welcome a PM. Of course, if this thread is removed, then that would be all the evidence of censorship that I need.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:14 AM

2008 R320 CDI 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Rod_84
.......SNIP..... if this thread is removed, then that would be all the evidence of censorship that I need.
The posting removed was in SL-Class (R230), Titled:
"Starfinder R230 FREE" with 40 replies as of 03/06/2020 around 10PM EST

This morning 03/07/2020 removed, "sanitized".

Is this right?

Is this not "Censorship"!

Censorship
is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient."

Old 03-07-2020, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Received 524 Likes on 112 Posts
Drives Slowly
The thread was deleted because the originator made the request. This type of appeal is typically allowed on MBworld.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:08 PM

2008 R320 CDI 4MATIC
Question

Originally Posted by Rock
The thread was deleted because the originator made the request. This type of appeal is typically allowed on MBworld.
Rock,

If the originator of any posting request a thread to be deleted MBworld will allow / delete.

This is MBworld policy?

Please Confirm this?

Thank You

Joseph
Old 03-07-2020, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Received 524 Likes on 112 Posts
Drives Slowly
Yes. I can delete this thread if you'd like.

Actually, I've never had time to read MBworld's Official Policy Rule Book. I think it's on my dresser.

Maybe pm our administrator, speedlimit if official verification is needed.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
Originally Posted by Rock
I am incredulous. If true, this is seriously wrongheaded, and if every member knew of this policy, you'd lose a significant number of members.

Suppose someone creates a thread which seems to provide a good bit of useful information. To the embarrassment of the originator, further suppose subsequent posts expose the early posts to be wildly inaccurate, and in the course of doing so factually accurate information useful to the membership gets posted. Under this alleged policy, the originator can request the contributions from every member be deleted and the valued contributions from some members are completely lost.
The following 2 users liked this post by seven_out:
Dudeman (03-07-2020), Joseph~ (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 01:13 PM

2008 R320 CDI 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Rod_84
I am incredulous. If true, this is seriously wrongheaded, and if every member knew of this policy, you'd lose a significant number of members.

Suppose someone creates a thread which seems to provide a good bit of useful information. To the embarrassment of the originator, further suppose subsequent posts expose the early posts to be wildly inaccurate, and in the course of doing so factually accurate information useful to the membership gets posted. Under this alleged policy, the originator can request the contributions from every member be deleted and the valued contributions from some members are completely lost.
And this is what has occurred.
The following users liked this post:
Dudeman (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 01:30 PM

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
So it looks like you can post whatever you want, true or false, lead people down the wrong path, even cheat them, then once you're caught and exposed, all you have to do is ask a moderator to wipe the thread, and any evidence of wrong doing is gone! Convenient.

Sounds like the current administration...
Joseph~ (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2003 SL500, 1991 500SL
Paranoya may destroy ya. Ohhhh Boy. I was on the deleted thread. The thread announced a software download. I downloaded the software, it wouldn't work, and it wouldn't uninstall. And the damn thing had more ".exe?" programs installed on my PC (24!!!) than Microsoft Office. Naturally someone wanted that thread removed, and they got their wish.

Meanwhile, I had posted that I would email Starfinder for the R230 as a small file. If not for reading this thread started by Joseph I would never have realized that my post with its offer had disappeared from the forum. SO, if an administrator is going to delete a thread (which should be prohibited), anyone who contributed ought to be notified and have the ability to retrieve what they contributed.
Joseph~ (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 01:43 PM

2008 R320 CDI 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Seven Out
Paranoya may destroy ya. Ohhhh Boy. I was on the deleted thread. The thread announced a software download. I downloaded the software, it wouldn't work, and it wouldn't uninstall. And the damn thing had more ".exe?" programs installed on my PC (24!!!) than Microsoft Office. Naturally someone wanted that thread removed, and they got their wish.

Meanwhile, I had posted that I would email Starfinder for the R230 as a small file. If not for reading this thread started by Joseph I would never have realized that my post with its offer had disappeared from the forum. SO, if an administrator is going to delete a thread (which should be prohibited), anyone who contributed ought to be notified and have the ability to retrieve what they contributed.
Request the administrator to re-post / supply your part of the thread.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:12 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 466 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Seven Out

Hi,

I have always removed a thread upon request of the OP; there is no automated way to PM everyone who contributed. There are always exceptions such as a very long thread that evolved into a different subject or a for sale thread that is being disputed. We prefer to keep them open but it is the content originator’s decision. Thank you.

Bob