MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: Trunk Shocks SL550 - Pls help (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/779025-trunk-shocks-sl550-pls-help.html)

alexisvx 04-03-2020 06:37 PM

Trunk Shocks SL550 - Pls help

Hi all,
I tried to change the Trunk Shocks in my 2009 SL550 but failed miserably.
I managed to remove them alright but I can't lift the trunk high up enough to make the holes of the new shocks align.

My model is remote open so has an extra shock/hydraulic on each side. Do I need to remove these as well? If so how do I do that, the mechanism doesn't look straight forward.
Or is there another way to do this?

Thanks

Don Butts 04-03-2020 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by alexisvx (Post 8022265)
Hi all,
I tried to change the Trunk Shocks in my 2009 SL550 but failed miserably.
I managed to remove them alright but I can't lift the trunk high up enough to make the holes of the new shocks align.

My model is remote open so has an extra shock/hydraulic on each side. Do I need to remove these as well? If so how do I do that, the mechanism doesn't look straight forward.
Or is there another way to do this?

Thanks

You should be able to compress the new shock and make it shorter. It's not too hard.

alexisvx 04-03-2020 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Don Butts (Post 8022280)
You should be able to compress the new shock and make it shorter. It's not too hard.

I tried but I can't. Is there a trick to it?

Don Butts 04-03-2020 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by alexisvx (Post 8022287)
I tried but I can't. Is there a trick to it?

Not that I know. Mine just compressed. A little hard to start but then just went in. They were just support shocks. Not power lifers.

alexisvx 04-03-2020 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Don Butts (Post 8022291)
Not that I know. Mine just compressed. A little hard to start but then just went in. They were just support shocks. Not power lifers.

I tried on the older ones and they compressed a bit but then immediately re-extended when I removed the pressure so I don't think that this will work.
Any other ideas?

Don Butts 04-03-2020 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by alexisvx (Post 8022292)
I tried on the older ones and they compressed a bit but then immediately re-extended when I removed the pressure so I don't think that this will work.
Any other ideas?

They are pressurised to lift the trunk. They should extend after you let off pressure. I don't have the power lifting trunk, so it may be different then mine.

alexisvx 04-03-2020 08:50 PM

Thanks Don.
Can anyone else give me some advice?

sivikvtec 04-04-2020 01:38 AM

Yea just dealt with this too and also had some issues, although I don’t have the powered trunk close option.

1) are your new strut identical to the old ones?

2) did you remove both struts before installing the new ones?

alexisvx 04-04-2020 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by sivikvtec (Post 8022452)
Yea just dealt with this too and also had some issues, although I don’t have the powered trunk close option.

1) are your new strut identical to the old ones?
2) did you remove both struts before installing the new ones?

Yes they are identical and I did remove both.

alexisvx 04-04-2020 03:03 PM

Bump.
Anyone with any suggestions?

matk 04-04-2020 07:07 PM

Im not sure if this will work as I’m thinking laterally here, reinstall the old struts and then lower the roof halfway and stop with the trunk vertical. Now go to the manual key lock in the truck and try the key in the lock to manually open the trunk.

the trunk should now swing back the other way but as the roof mechanism has already moved the trunk, you might find you now have a lot more space?

No idea if this works but worth a try? If you do this put a piece of wood between the windscreen frame and the lash edge of the roof as after a few minutes the roof might spring back into action and try to close on you.

See this video about 2.20 into it

alexisvx 04-04-2020 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by matk (Post 8022862)
Im not sure if this will work as I’m thinking laterally here, reinstall the old struts and then lower the roof halfway and stop with the trunk vertical. Now go to the manual key lock in the truck and try the key in the lock to manually open the trunk.

the trunk should now swing back the other way but as the roof mechanism has already moved the trunk, you might find you now have a lot more space?

No idea if this works but worth a try? If you do this put a piece of wood between the windscreen frame and the lash edge of the roof as after a few minutes the roof might spring back into action and try to close on you.

See this video about 2.20 into it

https://youtu.be/4_l8WTeo34k

Thanks for the suggestion MATK, unfortunately I can't even put the old ones in!

danaw007 04-04-2020 09:19 PM

I have not replaced it on a MB but I have done it several times on others. I too had difficulty until I learned that you need to install the bolts at the top first and have someone push up on the trunk lid to get the bottom bolts in. You can’t compress them, it’s too hard to do.

sivikvtec 04-04-2020 10:03 PM

There must be a problem being caused by the auto close components.

It was extremely easy on my car after the struts on both sides were removed prior to replacement. I also initially bought the wrong struts, there is a very similar one mounted elsewhere on the trunklid that is slightly longer and will not fit.

I’ll check WIS tomorrow in my free time (imagine that lol) and see if there are any special instructions for cars with auto close.

alexisvx 04-04-2020 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by sivikvtec (Post 8022950)
There must be a problem being caused by the auto close components.

It was extremely easy on my car after the struts on both sides were removed prior to replacement. I also initially bought the wrong struts, there is a very similar one mounted elsewhere on the trunklid that is slightly longer and will not fit.

I’ll check WIS tomorrow in my free time (imagine that lol) and see if there are any special instructions for cars with auto close.

Thank you I would really appreciate that. I've looked everywhere and I can't find how to change remote lock struts. I can't even put the original ones back on now so I'm stuck.

DavidCA 04-05-2020 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Mercedes WIS (workshop manual) makes it appear easy.
Do you have the correct struts?

alexisvx 04-05-2020 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by DavidCA (Post 8023209)
The Mercedes WIS (workshop manual) makes it appear easy.
Do you have the correct struts?

Thank you for looking it up. The procedure is what I did. Maybe the issue is that I am on my own and can't lift it high enough and need an extra pair of hands. I can't ask my neighbors to help given what is happening so will have to take it to the mechanic and ask for a hand.
thank you again.

danaw007 04-05-2020 09:37 PM

You could use a piece of 2x4 made into a “tee” with padding at the top so you can prop it up without help. This is what I mean meant by “help” as I usually don’t have any 😉

alexisvx 04-06-2020 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by danaw007 (Post 8023492)
You could use a piece of 2x4 made into a “tee” with padding at the top so you can prop it up without help. This is what I mean meant by “help” as I usually don’t have any 😉

LOL. I used broom sticks to hold it open but it was still not possible. I do feel that I pushed all the way up but couldn't line them up. I'll take them to my mechanic and see if they can help. It's a bit embarrassing to go to them for something so simple but what can you do? :nix:

alexisvx 04-07-2020 04:13 PM

I took it to the mechanic and it ended being a 3 man job! Two people holding the trunk, one using a wrench and one placing the struts in. They told me that they had replaced hundreds of them and never experienced this! All is good now.

sivikvtec 04-07-2020 04:24 PM

Lol glad you got it resolved!

I've had my fair share of DIY projects that were “easy according to the internet” blow up in my face so I know how it feels.