SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: HomeLink

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 11:17 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 GLE450
Arrow HomeLink

I am having trouble programming the HomeLink system in my 2007 Mercedes SL550. The HomeLink system has worked for the last few years and all of sudden I started having issues with it, it would sporadically work and then not work. I Thought I would try to reprogram the system using the existing garage door opener remote. To do this you typically hold down the button you need to program until the light flashed rapidly 3 times and then press and hold the remote until the light flashes quickly and you should be all set. The problem I am having is when pressing the button on the HomeLink, it never flashes rapidly, just slowly flashes no matter how long I hold the button. I have tried clearing all old codes and also tried disconnecting the battery in the trunk. Nothing seems to work. Is there a way to reset the system, or am I doing something wrong in trying to program the HomeLink system?
Old 04-20-2020, 11:24 AM

Received 795 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by randsny
I am having trouble programming the HomeLink system in my 2007 Mercedes SL550. The HomeLink system has worked for the last few years and all of sudden I started having issues with it, it would sporadically work and then not work. I Thought I would try to reprogram the system using the existing garage door opener remote. To do this you typically hold down the button you need to program until the light flashed rapidly 3 times and then press and hold the remote until the light flashes quickly and you should be all set. The problem I am having is when pressing the button on the HomeLink, it never flashes rapidly, just slowly flashes no matter how long I hold the button. I have tried clearing all old codes and also tried disconnecting the battery in the trunk. Nothing seems to work. Is there a way to reset the system, or am I doing something wrong in trying to program the HomeLink system?
here you go, check your garage frequencies
both versions upto and after 2008 included

Attached Files
Old 05-18-2020, 11:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2014 SL63
I had to go through the pairing process 4 times to get my homelink to work.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:49 AM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Plays With Cars
Same garage door opener, right? Most of the new rolling code openers require a Homelink repeater to be compatible with older cars.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
r230
Homelink fixed

My homelink (2005 sl500) would not program for my garage door. (Opener only 2 yrs old) so I purchased a homelink repeater....could not make it work...
after a dozen tries, it all of a sudden worked, and I remembered I had removed the repeater as a lost cause.....so repeater not used and my homelink works fine.
No idea why...........but older car, new opener, works if you hit the right combination of gymnastics.
The following users liked this post:
Leej (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 01:02 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2008 SL550 R230, 2004 E320 W211
I have older garage door opener and gate opener that requires setting dip switches on the remotes. I was able to program Homelink (in both my '08 R230 and '04 W211) to work on both my gate and garage doors, but I did have to go through the programming gymnastics a few times to get it to work.

@randsny I would suggest going through the process of reprogramming again (or multiple times); it took me multiple times. Hope you get it working.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but my experience with Homelink was that the range was pretty poor with my door/gate openers; seemed like it was half the distance of my dedicated garage/gate remote (I pretty much have to be in front of my gate or garage door to get it to work). For that reason, even though I have Homelink programmed and working, I almost never use it. I have purchased several inexpensive aftermarket remotes (ebay or amazon) for my garage/gate, and they are smaller than my old original, seem to have better battery life, and the range is equal to or better than the original remotes. I would be curious if others like Homelink and if they see diminished range compared to dedicated remote?

For Homelink to operate on many different systems (with different operating frequencies), I suspect is has a wide RF frequency operating band, and the antenna(s) is not tuned for a single specific frequency, and this is probably the reason that I see reduced range vs. the dedicated remotes. Or maybe I am overthinking it? Regardless, it never seemed to work well for me.

Again, not trying to hijack this thread (just trying to share), but I wanted the ability to control my garage door and gate remotely (i.e. from my phone) and while there are systems available to to this, they are expensive for what it is and only work with certain systems. So I actually put a wifi inching (momentary) switch (relay) on my garage door and gate so that I can operate them via app on my phone (or even voice activated via "Alexa"). The relay was about $14 and I wired it in line with my garage door button (and button input on my gate circuit board), and it works great as long as you have wifi to it. Of course if you are adverse to IoT devices, this is probably not for you; but it works really well, and I can open/close things from anywhere as long as I have network service... Just trying to share some info... If there is more interest in this, I can post some additional info, or start a new thread (didn't want to hijack @randsny's post).

Lee
Old 05-28-2020, 08:21 AM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Plays With Cars
I like Homelink, mostly because I'm OCD and don't like having openers hanging from my visor. I agree that the range isn't great, mine rarely works until I get into my driveway. But it's good enough for what it is.

Another consideration is that if your car is parked outside, Homelink will not work if the car isn't energized. So if someone breaks into your car, they can't open your garage door. One of our neighbors was the victim of a home invasion, the thief gained access to the house by breaking into their car and using the garage door opener.
The following users liked this post:
Leej (05-28-2020)