SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Secondary Injection Pump for P30 cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 05:11 AM

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts
1988 BMW M5, 1989 BMW M3, 1979 Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9, 2006 SL55 AMG w/ P30 Performance Pack
Secondary Injection Pump for P30 cars

Hello,

I was attempting to replace the smog pump for my 2006 SL55 AMG with P30 performance package. First, I found out the location for the pump has an oil cooler radiator instead of the pump on P30 cars. The pump is actually located just below the front ABC reservoir/valve block components. I was able to access it from the bottom of the car by removing two panels. I spent 2 hours under the car and another two hours online and can't find any help on how to remove the pump bracket! I was able to remove one thru the left fog light grill. It seems to be held in place by one or two more bolts and I can't for the life of me find them! I'm fearing the worse....as in every time I work on this car, I may have to remove the entire ABC system and or bumper/headlight to get this thing out. I can't remove the 3 torx bolts that attach to the body of the pump, (so I don't have to remove the bracket) because it's very tight (surprise) in there. I have every clever tool know to man but, those 3 torx are going to be tough.

If anyone has any tips or knowledge I would really appreciate it. I love owning a rare SL55 but, sometimes it's a PITA because some components are not where most non P30 cars are located or attached. Thanks.