SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Roof stuck in down position in trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Roof stuck in down position in trunk

Has anyone else had this issue? I ran to the store today with the top down and when I got home I opened the trunk to reach in and grab something without putting the top up. When I was pulling it out of the narrow opening in the trunk I must have hit something because the roof lifted in the trunk into the position it is now in. As long as I've had the car it's never raised like that before and I've never used the red button that controls it. It's now stuck in that position and the top will not open or close. The dash just shows the trunk lid open when I try to open or close the roof. The red button does not work because I have tried it before unless I'm not doing something right. I tried it with the emergency brake on as well with no luck. All flaps look normal as well. It's a 2007 SL 55 with 25,000 miles. I really hate to bring it to Mercedes if I don't have to because there is only one in town and their prices are all over the place. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2020, 09:48 PM

2007 SL55 AMG
I also meant to say that the red light on the trunk control button on the driver's door is on as well.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:16 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
Your cargo divider, where it latches onto the right and left side of the trunk latches, fiddle behind that, there's an electrical connector, make sure it's in tight, or unplug it and plug it back in. That's what fixed it for me when i had that issue.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:23 PM

2007 SL55 AMG

I fixed it! After a little research about the red button in the trunk I took the cover off to look at the connection underneath and it was disconnected. After reconnecting and crossing my fingers...The button lights up and the stored roof now raises and lowers.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:31 PM

2007 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by FxFormat
Your cargo divider, where it latches onto the right and left side of the trunk latches, fiddle behind that, there's an electrical connector, make sure it's in tight, or unplug it and plug it back in. That's what fixed it for me when i had that issue.
Thanks for the quick reply! I was able to fix it.