2004 SL500; 2016 E400; 2019 GLC300
Well this too...

Old 08-27-2020, 02:25 AM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Nice !
yes it is a multi car scanner
You get good stuff for 1300+ $
Might get stuck on some things like updating, SCN, and erasing airbag, but that depends of what Mercedes model you work on.
Most of the workshops use these in addition to real Xentry as they don't have Mercedes Online. They can't get stuck
enjoy !
Old 08-27-2020, 09:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
So a little update for anyone interested. I got past the 9002 fault code by adding a fuse that apparently was missing at the driver side engine bay. However, I still have a SRS light. The one code that keeps coming up is the N1262. Maybe i hit the limitations with this Autel scanner.

As for the Chinese star purchase...I am still getting only one response per day about them needing to activate the software. Currently trying to get them to setup a time to do this with no confirmation.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:11 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
The Autel appears to have the same limitation that iCarsoft and Foxwell have: they report the diagnostic codes but will not explain how to resolve them. This is where the Star Diagnosis software can be an enhancement, since it allows you to look-up every diagnostic code and read the procedures to fix.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:45 PM

My few hours with the star system did show what I am missing with the autel. However I did actually end up fixing the srs light today. The autel was showing me when a specific code that was triggered by means of the hour meter. Which was only 30 minutes earlier. The code was pointing at the passenger child occupied sensor, so I moved the seat and made sure everything was plugged in...then disabled and reactivated it through the autel. Then no more srs light.

Was then able to plug into a Ford and a jag for some diagnostics...so the autel is really proving to be a good investment for me at this point.

Still got nowhere with china...keep getting the same response that the professional needs to activate the software. I definatley do not recommend that seller based off of the responses alone.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:05 PM

CL
Originally Posted by MBMidas
My few hours with the star system did show what I am missing with the autel. However I did actually end up fixing the srs light today. The autel was showing me when a specific code that was triggered by means of the hour meter. Which was only 30 minutes earlier. The code was pointing at the passenger child occupied sensor, so I moved the seat and made sure everything was plugged in...then disabled and reactivated it through the autel. Then no more srs light.

Was then able to plug into a Ford and a jag for some diagnostics...so the autel is really proving to be a good investment for me at this point.

Still got nowhere with china...keep getting the same response that the professional needs to activate the software. I definatley do not recommend that seller based off of the responses alone.
Happy to hear you are are satisfied
It's not only that seller, they are all the same
Old 08-29-2020, 07:36 PM

Not only that...but I am having one hell of a time with the fresh install in this dell! I think I may have a hard drive going out. And it just sucks sourcing all the drivers and crap....very time consuming.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts
SL500
Not only that..but I am having one hell of a time with the fresh install in this dell! I think I may have a hard drive going out. And it just sucks sourcing all the drivers and crap...very time consuming.
We are all smart and even expert in our fields, computers included. However when you are in need of knowledge, assistance , and problem solving with years of experience you cannot ignore this opportunity when it presents itself. Where is the expert knowledge and where can it be obtained? HERE Now there are others who have a narcissistic need to appose the expert. Instead of a community of owners we have immature spoiled brat behavior. My question is simple, Why don't these guys get it when post after post they are proven to be wrong. And this is ok but they influence others to make bad decisions. And when this occurs they run for the hills on a forum. I am a newbie but I know when a person is pulling my chain. I hope you can too. Thank you Peter.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:05 PM

CL
Originally Posted by Gene Fiorot
We are all smart and even expert in our fields, computers included. However when you are in need of knowledge, assistance , and problem solving with years of experience you cannot ignore this opportunity when it presents itself. Where is the expert knowledge and where can it be obtained? HERE Now there are others who have a narcissistic need to appose the expert. Instead of a community of owners we have immature spoiled brat behavior. My question is simple, Why don't these guys get it when post after post they are proven to be wrong. And this is ok but they influence others to make bad decisions. And when this occurs they run for the hills on a forum. I am a newbie but I know when a person is pulling my chain. I hope you can too. Thank you Peter.
Thank you Gene for your kind support and all others who support me since long.
Time discovers truth
and thank you MBMidas, for posting this experience so many had
I always learned to buy solid, proven solid tools. you pay just a little more, but it lasts; like a Mercedes

Last edited by pmercury; 08-29-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:50 PM
Banned

Not only that...but I am having one hell of a time with the fresh install in this dell! I think I may have a hard drive going out. And it just sucks sourcing all the drivers and crap....very time consuming.
With a fresh install of XP I believe the only driver you may want outside of what XP has is the display adapter driver. It isn't required unless you want to be able to put the PC to sleep.

I know from a PM that your experience with installing the free 2008 software is atypical from the experience of others and myself. Within 12 hours I will post a YouTube video which is a screen capture of the installation procedure, as I believe this will be of help to you.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:29 AM

Just to throw this out there, I am grateful for everyone's help and suggestions.

SO losing out on the $230 C3 does suck, but at least it did work for long enough to get me through 99% of my codes. Payed for itself right there in my eyes.

The fresh install could be my Harddrive having issues(have some bad sectors that can't be repaired). Also, I have three different versions of XP. The only one I could get to install was the Home Edition for some reason, its been forever since I even had to use these disc's.

However, my next issue is getting the Das software installed onto a external storage device that the Dell will recognize. For some reason I only have a 3.8 gig capacity thumb drive at home, but I have a ton of large SD cards. I needed to install another driver to be able to recognize the SD card in an adapter though. Then I was having issues partitioning the drives. Started all over again, by formatting the drive and partitioning before installing Windows. Then I had to install the service pack 3, because I was getting a Pointer error, but then when I attempted to install the Star, I was meet by a error that something along the lines about not being able to update the version of widows(cant remember exactly what it said). So I uninstalled service pack 3 and went to service pack 2. Everything then started to install, but I keep getting errors that pop up saying the the volume F: isn't setup as expected. Also, I keep getting a message "No star diagnosis impersonation file found". I am going to keep trying to get this installed, but I really think I am having more hardware issues, which is the story of my life.

I would consider myself a jack of all trades and master of none.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:47 AM

CL
Just to throw this out there, I am grateful for everyone's help and suggestions.

SO losing out on the $230 C3 does suck, but at least it did work for long enough to get me through 99% of my codes. Payed for itself right there in my eyes.

The fresh install could be my Harddrive having issues(have some bad sectors that can't be repaired). Also, I have three different versions of XP. The only one I could get to install was the Home Edition for some reason, its been forever since I even had to use these disc's.

However, my next issue is getting the Das software installed onto a external storage device that the Dell will recognize. For some reason I only have a 3.8 gig capacity thumb drive at home, but I have a ton of large SD cards. I needed to install another driver to be able to recognize the SD card in an adapter though. Then I was having issues partitioning the drives. Started all over again, by formatting the drive and partitioning before installing Windows. Then I had to install the service pack 3, because I was getting a Pointer error, but then when I attempted to install the Star, I was meet by a error that something along the lines about not being able to update the version of widows(cant remember exactly what it said). So I uninstalled service pack 3 and went to service pack 2. Everything then started to install, but I keep getting errors that pop up saying the the volume F: isn't setup as expected. Also, I keep getting a message "No star diagnosis impersonation file found". I am going to keep trying to get this installed, but I really think I am having more hardware issues, which is the story of my life.

I would consider myself a jack of all trades and master of none.
You can not change to external drives. as the person that provided you this barely knows windows,
I doubt he will be able to help you, but try... but do this privately in PM
This forum is not the right place for cracked software installation discussions.

good luck

Old 08-30-2020, 08:50 AM

My apologies! The external drive is just for the software to get installed!

Welp this is thread is not going as I intended. May need to just end it.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:06 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
Which years of Mercedes does a Star C3 or C4 Diagnostic cover?
Also if i am right that the Star C6 is the latest one (newest one) which years does the Star C6 cover?

If you can buy all the parts without the laptop can i use my old Compaq Presario CQ57 if i install the version of Windows the Star C3 requiores?

Lets say that a C3 is good enough for me how much is a used one one with all parts needed? And where can i find a cheap used Star C3?

Last edited by TheSaint; 08-30-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:34 PM

CL
Originally Posted by TheSaint
Which years of Mercedes does a Star C3 or C4 Diagnostic cover?
Also if i am right that the Star C6 is the latest one (newest one) which years does the Star C6 cover?

Lets say that a C3 is good enough for me how much is a used one one with all parts needed? And where can i find a cheap used Star C3?
C6 does not cover old cars, many fake clones too

C5 originally and good clones has Xentry on a hardrive in the multiplexor but unfortunatly software support stopped last year, I have worked on the Xentry version called KIT2 for this one 2 weeks ago
many fake C5's clones also that just have the C5 case with a C4 inside

C4 is the only one covering from very old to latest cars and can add optional DOIP, supports all Xentry versions, online, and all tools like Vediamo and DTS monaco.
just the best if you make sure about some components that should be onboard
It must have these Professional Military Grade Chip onboard: AM79C874VI & ADG426B Chip. it was just a matter of asking, but no "save-a-buck-guy" ever asked directly.
This is also proof that it is latest revision. There are NONE on sale shipped from the US, I never found one on ebay ether.
Easy to see, if the seller doesn't mention these chips onboard = old poor quality

almost 100% clones available on ebay and outside china are bad cheap clones. they are first gen clones

C3 is for old only no online coding, no Doip and no Xentry older than 2015, almost 100% clones available on ebay and outside china are bad cheap clones. they are first gen clones

to find Original versions and price, just search ebay

REMEMBER CHEAP SOFTWARE, CHEAP HARDWARE = POOR QUALITY
on ebay all cloned SDconnect hardware is EXPENSIVE = POOR QUALITY

Last edited by pmercury; 08-31-2020 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheSaint
If you can buy all the parts without the laptop can i use my old Compaq Presario CQ57 if i install the version of Windows the Star C3 requiores?
The 2008 free release of Star Diagnosis will work on any PC, and that includes your old Presario. It requires Windows XP, and that can be downloaded from archive.org.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I have deleted a number of posts from several members as they simply derailed the topic at hand. I understand that people have different opinions so please assist the OP with practical and relevant advice without attacking other members in the process.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
Geo3 (08-30-2020), pmercury (08-30-2020)