SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Rear trailing arm bush completely stuck !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 08:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
R230 sl55
Rear trailing arm bush completely stuck !

Has anyone done this job ? Replacing the rear trailing arm / spring arm bush ?

Its proving 'challenging' Now the nut(10) is finally removed, the bolt(90) I believe now is completely solid within the bush. The bolt will rotate, but I suspect its just rotating the bush too.

To cut this out I suspect would be a horrendous job since you have such poor access, any ideas ?

Old 08-29-2020, 03:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
SL55AMG
No, but i has similar with Bolt 105 at the other end , had to drop the subframe out and press the bolt through !
Old 08-30-2020, 12:12 AM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
The multilink rear suspension is under quite a bit pressure. If the bolt is rotating, I'd be very surprised if it has seized to the bushing. A more likely scenario is that there is sufficient pressure on the bolt not allowing movement. Have the other links been disconnected from the hub so as to relieve all pressure? I had to replace my lower control arm last year due to a bad mishap with a curb which bent it about 45 degrees and saw the entire rear wheel angled under the car at about a 30 degree angle. I replaced all the links and well as the control arm and was surprised by just how much pressure the links are under during reassembly.

Also, take great care not to break the plastic "level" arm which is connected to the lower comtrol arm. (The one which connects to the sensor indicating ride height.)

Last edited by Aussiesuede; 08-30-2020 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:30 PM

R230 sl55
Originally Posted by Tony Ryan
No, but i has similar with Bolt 105 at the other end , had to drop the subframe out and press the bolt through !
That sounds horrendous ! What was the job like of lowering the subframe, did all the bolts come loose ok ?
Old 08-30-2020, 12:40 PM

R230 sl55
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede
The multilink rear suspension is under quite a bit pressure. If the bolt is rotating, I'd be very surprised if it has seized to the bushing. A more likely scenario is that there is sufficient pressure on the bolt not allowing movement. Have the other links been disconnected from the hub so as to relieve all pressure? I had to replace my lower control arm last year due to a bad mishap with a curb which bent it about 45 degrees and saw the entire rear wheel angled under the car at about a 30 degree angle. I replaced all the links and well as the control arm and was surprised by just how much pressure the links are under during reassembly.

Also, take great care not to break the plastic "level" arm which is connected to the lower comtrol arm. (The one which connects to the sensor indicating ride height.)
Its a good point I did try relieving the load of the bushing but it didn't make any difference, it was well and truly seized. In hindsight maybe an industrial C clamp press tool may have got the centre bolt out, but i didnt have one - so over a day of grinding and cutting , the arm is now separated.

After having to undo some of the other links I would agree that the whole thing is under tension and shall not be fully tightening everything till its back on the ground or at least loaded.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Ryan (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 12:57 PM

SL55AMG
Yeah , it was a lot of work but i had a load of upgrades planned anyway !

Old 08-31-2020, 12:52 PM

R230 sl55
so I'm spotting a sway bar, hence coilover install ?

How about the long wheel studs, what are they for ?
Old 08-31-2020, 01:56 PM

SL55AMG
Correct on the Anti roll bar , this will aid the handling of the Coilovers ive fitted.
Longer wheel studs mean virtually any wheel choice and offset/width can be accomodated , have you tried lining a std 55 wheel up while trying to get a bolt in !!