SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Rain leak passengers side please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Rain leak passengers side please help!

Dear Friends, I purchased this beautiful 2003 sl500 for$2750. The seller freaked out and just wanted to sell it because the sbc brakes failed. I bought the car and got the brakes fixed for free under the recall.

Then one day it was raining and I went in my car. There were no leaks. I opened the window and then reclosee it. Then it started leaking. I opened and closed it several times to no avail and the rain leak continued.

From my internet searches, I found the rubber on the contact points should be thoroughly lubricared. So I bought the oem mercedes oil and the roof still leaks.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to redo the rubber convertible liner? Any tips or tricks? Also, although I would prefer to diy, as a last resort I would get it done in a shop. Amy suggestions for shops in the dc metro area to repair the rain leak? Thanks in advance and stay safe.

Old 09-21-2020, 06:49 AM

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
R230 350SL
Check the drain tubes in the rubber seals. I used strimmer wire down them all. This solved my leaking issue. The drain in the corner of the windscreen rail is not easy to see
The following 2 users liked this post by matk:
Frederick NL (09-21-2020), LexBrett2 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R230 SL500; previously 280CE and 180E.
Maybe resynchronize window closing

It may be that the windows are not closing fully and need to be resynchronized. I copied this from another post, but you may find the exact procedure for the SL500 R230 in your owner's manual (e.g. the length of time to hold the window button on may be longer):

you must rest each side window if:
1/ a front side window cannot be closed automatically.
2/ a side window opens again slightly after being closed manually.

1/ close all the doors.
2/ turn the smartkey to position 1 or 2 in the ignition lock.
3/ pull the corresponding switch on the door control panel until the side window is completely closed.
4/ hold the switch for an additional second.

if the side window opens again slightly,
1/ immediately pull the corresponding switch on the door control panel until the side window is completely closed.
2/ hold the switch for an additional second.
3/ if the corresponding side window remians closed after the button has been released, the side window has been reset correctly. if this is not the case, repeat the steps above again.

I am keen to know what the dealer did for the warranty recall for the brakes SBC. You said that the SBC failed. Was there a warning in the dash before you took it in for repair? What did it say? If the problem was to do with the SBC pump having reached 300,000 activations and needing to be replaced, it is possible the dealer simply reset the SBC (back to zero?). If the dealer disconnected your non-starter battery (which is in the trunk), it is likely to have caused the windows to be out of synchronization, hence your current problem. I am interested to know because there is no such warranty recall in Australia that I am aware of and if your dealer simply reset your SBC I will be more comfortable resetting mine if the system reaches 300,000 activations in the future and I get the dreaded SBC warning message in the dash. Otherwise it is huge $ to replace the pump and valve body.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Psnj
It may be that the windows are not closing fully and need to be resynchronized. I copied this from another post, but you may find the exact procedure for the SL500 R230 in your owner's manual (e.g. the length of time to hold the window button on may be longer):

you must rest each side window if:
1/ a front side window cannot be closed automatically.
2/ a side window opens again slightly after being closed manually.

1/ close all the doors.
2/ turn the smartkey to position 1 or 2 in the ignition lock.
3/ pull the corresponding switch on the door control panel until the side window is completely closed.
4/ hold the switch for an additional second.

if the side window opens again slightly,
1/ immediately pull the corresponding switch on the door control panel until the side window is completely closed.
2/ hold the switch for an additional second.
3/ if the corresponding side window remians closed after the button has been released, the side window has been reset correctly. if this is not the case, repeat the steps above again.

I am keen to know what the dealer did for the warranty recall for the brakes SBC. You said that the SBC failed. Was there a warning in the dash before you took it in for repair? What did it say? If the problem was to do with the SBC pump having reached 300,000 activations and needing to be replaced, it is possible the dealer simply reset the SBC (back to zero?). If the dealer disconnected your non-starter battery (which is in the trunk), it is likely to have caused the windows to be out of synchronization, hence your current problem. I am interested to know because there is no such warranty recall in Australia that I am aware of and if your dealer simply reset your SBC I will be more comfortable resetting mine if the system reaches 300,000 activations in the future and I get the dreaded SBC warning message in the dash. Otherwise it is huge $ to replace the pump and valve body.
Thanks for the tips about synchronizing the windows. Pretty sure I fully did the synch, but I will definitely double check. I'm also having some low battery issues, so I wonder if this was part of the issue (maybe low battery caused need to reset window and hadn't realized). The SBC brakes were gone. Large loud warning lights on the dash. You'll know. There is almost no braking power which means the sbc pump has failed. I feel I got lucky since didn't have to pay a thing. The scary thing is that it went out without any warning.