SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: replacing steering rack bushes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 11:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
R230 sl55
replacing steering rack bushes

On the R230, is it possible without removing the rack ?

I currently have all 4 bolts out which hold the rack. The rack is loose now, but it doesn't seem possible to move into a position which gives enough clearance to get the bushes out ?

Anyone done this job ? Thanks.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
R230 sl55
So now done this job, for anyone that needs to do it - here is some info:

There are a number of guides on how to do this for different model mercedes and it is a straightforward quick job for these,

Not so with the R230.

To gain enough clearance ( and its still a struggle )

remove steering ball joints both sides. ( without doing this, the rack is constrained too much )

Undo the body floor diagonal struts ( the reinforcing since its a convertible). You dont need to remove these from the car, just let them hang down. Unless you do this - these will obstruct the removal of the bush.
I was worried these might be under some tension but they are not.

Jack up the engine slightly to allow more access to the nuts on top of the steering rack.

Remove the 4 x large bolts that hold the steering rack. On top of the rack is a spreader plate. There are 4 x 18mm nuts . These are NOT captive like on other models. I found using a combination of 18mm stubby spanner
and cranked spanners allowed removal of these bolts. Incredibly fiddly though.

The old bush's can be levered out fairly easily and the top ones can be drifted out with access from the bottom. The bush by the steering column side is very difficult and you will need to use a pry bar gently to position the rack in such a way
you can remove the bush.

Fortunately insertion of the new bush's is easy they will push in with normal hand strength. I used FEBI bush's , part number 34367. Note there is a tab on them which sits in a recess on the steering rack - ie orientation is important.

Reassembly ....... good luck.

1st the 4 nuts are special mercedes lock nuts ( not nylock). these are part number N913 023 012 002. I would not re-use the old ones.

Looking at the spreader plate you have removed you will see why it is so difficult to get a grip on the nuts. There are ribs by the nuts which make attaching a spanner difficult.

Re - insert the spreader plate. For some reason I found it much more difficult to tighten the nuts back up. So much so I ended up butchering some 18mm spanners , welding and cutting to make almost a C shaped ring spanner
which held the nuts. With these tools, quick job - otherwise expect to be there a while !

Steering rack bolts are 70Nm + 90degree's.

Diagonal body struts are 70Nm.
The following users liked this post:
chad500sl (10-11-2020)