SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Parktronic Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SL600 & 04 Range Rover
Parktronic Problems

I am having parktronic problems with my 04 SL600. The front sensors have been overly sensitive, so my dealer ordered a complete new set of sensors and replaced them. The problem was still there. Well, they discovered a technical bulletin that applies to the R230's. It says that the front license plate bracket may cause the front parktronic sensors to function erratically. We removed my front license plate and bracket yesterday and the problem has stopped. Now I have 4 holes in my front bumper where the bracket was mounted. Unfortunately, Alaska is one of 14 states that require a front license plate. They aggressively ticket here for that offense. $90 a pop! I am waiting for MB to offer a solution. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by mantylar
I am having parktronic problems with my 04 SL600. The front sensors have been overly sensitive, so my dealer ordered a complete new set of sensors and replaced them. The problem was still there. Well, they discovered a technical bulletin that applies to the R230's. It says that the front license plate bracket may cause the front parktronic sensors to function erratically. We removed my front license plate and bracket yesterday and the problem has stopped. Now I have 4 holes in my front bumper where the bracket was mounted. Unfortunately, Alaska is one of 14 states that require a front license plate. They aggressively ticket here for that offense. $90 a pop! I am waiting for MB to offer a solution. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Wow, my friend's CLK does that same thing. Did you have a licsence plate frame on the plate? I think the bracket and plate are ok, but if you have a plate frame on then it will affect it.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:44 PM

I am going to reinstall the bracket without the license plate this weekend and see if the parktronic still malfunctions. The car had a dealer advertisement plate on the front when I took delivery, so I have never driven it with just the bracket. The dealer did say that the technical bulletin applied only to the R230's. I installed a metal frame around the plate, but the problem existed prior to that frame being installed.

Last edited by mantylar; 08-20-2004 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I have seen similar bulletins on the W211, his car did not have a problem until he put the OEM Mercedes-Benz plate frame on it. We haven't tried taking it off however.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:15 PM

I tried reinstalling the plastic front license plate bracket without the license plate, and the problem is back. Mine does have the sport package, but that shouldn't matter. I'm waiting for Mercedes Benz to offer a solution.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:16 PM

I heard back from my dealer today. There is a "new" license plate bracket available that sits flatter against the front bumper and should solve the problem. They ordered it today.