SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Siren alarm going off/alarm fuse keeps popping/can issues/central locking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 sl500
Siren alarm going off/alarm fuse keeps popping/can issues/central locking

Im having the issue where the alarm siren goes off randomly with the lights flashing. Also getting can bus communication errors. also the 20amp alarm fuse keeps popping.

1.)First I replaced the service battery with a new one just to rule that out.
2.)Replaced with brand new siren and the problem still occurs.
3.)The alarm sounds off while the lights flash. I am at a loss on what to do next or even attempt. Siren code cleared and has not come back on my scanner. what else could it be???
4.) went through every single fuse in the car 1 by one to verify a popped fuse.

I am using a autel maxis scanner. There are can bus related problems and sam module errors. If someone can guide me on what to do next that would greatly appreciated. I have scoured the forums any related issues to no resolve yet. Someone help please!!! Dealer wanted me to replace all the sam modules prior to this issue even happening when I couldn't get the locking system to work, but I ended up figuring out the fuse solved that.

codes stored and current
B1021 stored/current - control module A37 (PSE(pneumatic control module) is not sending data on the can bus
b1638 stored - the component and/or signal wire to the components k40/4kp (fanfare horns relay) has short circuit to ground
b112d stored/current - Fault in CAN communication with the control module N60 (central locking (cl/zv)control module

there are a ton more but this are the main related codes that im seeing thats tied to the issues.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:31 AM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
2021 E350 (W213)
I suggest investigating the PSE first. It is known to cause issues and blow fuses when having trouble. Mine got wet from a leaking trunk. Removing it, cleaning it, and drying it solved my issues. It is easy to access the PSE in the trunk. If the foam around it is wet, be sure to open it. I found mine with a inch of water in it even though the trunk was currently dry.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:49 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
The alarm functions are handled by the driver-side SAM. If you look at "Actual values" in that module you will see the source of the five most recent alarm triggers. I'd check those.

There's no such component N60, nor is there a central locking control module. Those functions are in the PSE.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:07 PM

2004 sl500
To quickly update on my status. I removed the the rear sam module behind the the passenger seat under the little compartment and disassembled it and cleaned all contact points that showed any corrosion. I was hoping that would fix my issue, but I am still facing the same issues. As soon as I put everything back together and replace locking fuse the car locked then soon after the siren starting going back off again. Then I could not lock the door anymore with the remote so I check the fuse and it is blown again. As far as I know i keep replacing it with a 20amp fuse and do not plan to go bigger unless someone else knows for sure that it is rated for a higher rated amp. Anymore inputs would greatly be appreciated!!!

Ive read around that i can purchase a used sam module and just reprogram it to my vehicle? can someone confirm this. I am sure my scanner is capable of programing a new module.

also I forgot to mention that I am having tail lamp faults left and right and license plate faults as well.

I have also replaced the pse pump way back as well so and it did not fix any issues.

Should I proceed to remove the driver front sam module and clean those contacts as well? and just to make sure the driver front sam module controls the alarm system on a 2004 sl500??
Old 10-17-2020, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 191 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
Fuse plans up to March 31st 2004 and from April 1st 2004 are readily available for free on a webpage. I can’t post it here as it somehow upsets one or more forum moderators.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:28 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
You can download the documents from Rodney's website and then upload them to this thread, Frederick. Or maybe even start a new thread which then perhaps ought to be made a "sticky".
Old 10-25-2020, 04:46 PM

2004 sl500
another update replaced the passenger rear sam module with a used one from ebay 120$ it helped out with the issue so now the alarm does not trigger off within 5-10 mins or instantly. I have narrowed it down to the driver sam module needing to be replaced and a new pse pump. to rebuild the motor on the pse pump runs about $200 but im probably going to steer towards a new or used pump instead. after research the 20amp central locking fuse blows are opening and closing the door maybe once or twice. I will start with the pse pump replacement and go from there. hope this helps someone else out.

symptoms left
20amp fuses pops behind passenger seat after closing door once or twice
alarm siren will randomly go off but not as frequently as before i replaced the sam module
all rear brake lights throw faults right after 20amp fuse blows but doesn't show when i replace it.

My educated diagnose
failing pse pump
faulty driver front sam module - triggering the alarm to go off but not as quickly or frequently or even at all.