SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: R230 SL63 PSE Central Locking issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 55AMG / r170 32AMG
R230 SL63 PSE Central Locking issue

My vehicle is a 2010 R230 SL63. Keyless go is not included, there is an electric trunk option (Remote Trunk Locking Code 881).
A few months ago the rear compartment box (some people call it rear cubies) was locked and won't open.
I suspected a leak in the pneumatic line, but couldn't find any broken or damaged lines. But today I learned something new.

First of all, the central locking feature doesn't work.
1. Even if you press the Lock/Unlock button located on the left and right of the hazard button on the dashboard, hear the sound of the pneumatic and PSE pump motors, but the door lock does not work.

2. Turn off the engine and lock the car door using the remote fob while riding the vehicle. The glove box and center console will not be locked.
(The rear compartment box is still locked. Both sides.)

3. However, all other pneumatic functions will work. Open and close door with remote fob, pneumatic seat, trunk boot, fuel filler flap.

I disassembled the pse pump and looked for any problems, but there were no visible problems with the naked eye. (E.g. leaks, oxidation, breakage, traces of melt, etc.)
I also checked the fuse, but there was no break or burnt sign.

Which method should I proceed any further?
Mercedes Dealer Shop Mechanic recommended PSE exchange.
Would this be the best? I ask for the opinions of those who are experiencing or have experienced the same symptoms as mine. Please help.

thank you for reading. Your feedback encourages me.

Last edited by suphinx; 11-16-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
The PSE pump should be the last component that you look at since other PSE functions are OK. It is possible that you have a bad solenoid on the compartment lock circuit, but that is less likely than other potential trouble spots.

Does the 2010 still have the ability to lock/unlock the internal storage with the glove box lock? If so, I would try locking and unlocking with the key. If you don't hear anything happening, most likely the PSE has faulted on that circuit because of a leak (locking this way only affects the compartment locks, so if you hear anything it is for that circuit and not the doors). I would tell you to pull the fuse and reset it, but that fuse is in the right rear compartment. Since you had the pump out, it should have reset, but it would have faulted again if there is still a leak. You can unplug the pump momentarily to reset and then try again with the glove box key. If you hear air leakage or locks attempting to actuate, your pump and control are probably fine and you have a leak in the tubing or a bad actuator.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 55AMG / r170 32AMG
Thank you for answer. In a few days I will do what you advised me to do. I'm curious, what does the actuator you mean? I wonder if it means the actuator of the PSE pump or if it is in a different position. Can you explain?
Old 11-21-2020, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
The PSE system locks with air pressure and unlocks with vacuum. Each lock has an air cylinder or bladder type actuator that provides the motion to lock/unlock. The PSE has separate circuits for each door, the trunk, and the interior compartments. On the interior circuit, there are 3-4 locks, each with it's own actuator. If any of these or the interconnecting tubing is leaking, the locks will not work. The PSE monitors pressure on each circuit and is able to determine if there is a leak in any of the circuits. If it finds a leak, it disables that circuit. This insures that the other circuits will have adequate pressure/vacuum. For example, if you have a break in the line to the glove box, that circuit will turn off and you won't have locking or unlocking on rear boxes, console, or glove box. This function is reset by cycling power to the PSE or by software, but will disable again if the problem has not been fixed.
The following users liked this post:
Frederick NL (11-21-2020)
Old 06-27-2021, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mercedes Sl550
I have a 2008 SL550, The PSE fuse keep blowing, Checked out the PSE pump, and it is working perfectly since after changing the fuse, trunk works but door locks don't. Few minutes later fuse blows. I did notice an air leak sound coming from the center console below the radio, my guess is that the fuse keep blowing since the pump is working overtime to compensate for the air loss. Does anyone have any ideas what hoses are located below the center console? I looked at the hose distribution on the net and it does not show anything going in that direction.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 191 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
To the glove box, I suspect..
Old 06-27-2021, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mercedes Sl550
Is there a hose that is supposed to go the glove box? The problem is that I know where the sound is coming from, but need to remove the carpet connecting both side under the dash / radio assembly. Is there an easier way to removing it without having to cut it as some posts recommended?