SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Upgrade 2003 SL500 Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Upgrade 2003 SL500 Radio

All - I've spent days searching for an aftermarket alternative to the stock nav / radio in my 2003 SL500. I do not want to modify / cut the trim in any way. It appears the upgrades drive several requirements - a separate fascia plate and harnesses that allow the new radio to communicate properly. I'm like an Apple Carplay unit that allows me to simply plug my iPhone into a accessory or charging cable and utilize the apps loaded on my phone, including my navigation apps (Waze). I'm also looking for a vendor that can properly install the new system as well.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-07-2021, 12:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2009 SL550
I'm in the process of making this changes and will create a post when I'm done next week but I used the Spiral Audio harness and dash kit. I have a 2009 SL550.
Check it out there
http://www.spiralaudio.com/

Old 01-07-2021, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 287 Likes on 218 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
Be aware that the '03 and '04 have a different fiber optic system and no aftermarket solutions exist for a plug and play solution. You will need to replace the amp at a minimum. Also, I'm not sure that you can find a bezel that fits within the wood trim. You might need to cut off the upper portion for it to fit. '05 and up have a wider bezel and the wood trim ends at the bottom of the radio instead of wrapping around it. I have a bezel and a trimmed piece of console trim that I removed to put a stock radio back in (previous owner had converted, but sold it with the radio removed). PM me if you are interested.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by bobterry99
If you use an aftermarket amplifier be aware that there is no crossover on the tweeter to protect it from lower frequencies. (It isn't needed with the stock amp since it has its own dedicated amplifier.) To prevent the tweeter from running hot and potential damage you ought to put a capacitor in series with one of the two wires going to it.
Good catch! Any recommendations for a value in this application?

Chris
Old 01-07-2021, 07:53 PM
SPONSOR

Received 818 Likes on 634 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by latemodel21
Good catch! Any recommendations for a value in this application?

Chris
No need for "approximation" and 1$ savers here
everything you need here for 9$
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_761/Ba...s.html?tp=3216

The following users liked this post:
Jim Muller (06-28-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 04:17 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
They are made for cars, right expected Ohms of course, made by professionals, I trust what they sell and they do 60 days return
Old 01-08-2021, 08:33 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
and I would just buy from https://www.crutchfield.com/g_761/Ba...s.html?tp=3216
as usual
The following users liked this post:
latemodel21 (01-08-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL000
It seems you advertise for free here.
If I was a moderator I would look at this.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:24 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by TheV12pwr
It seems you advertise for free here.
If I was a moderator I would look at this.
Who ? me ?
maybe because I am a Vendor/Sponsor

The following 3 users liked this post by BenzNinja:
Fountain35 (04-29-2021), mbprince (11-04-2023), Thrasher5621 (06-12-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 07:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
All,

Last week I had my Comand unit replaced with a JVC unit with Apple CarPlay and numerous other 21st century features that did not exist in my 18 year old SL 500. I could not be happier. I lost the ability to change the volume on the steering wheel but that was a small trade off for the array of features I gained from the transformation. It’s like night and day. My 2003 MB now seems current.

Also, I had an Alpine amplifier installed to drive the subwoofer and center channels. Initially I was going to do the install myself to save money but after buying the head unit and amplifier from Best Buy i was convinced to at least consider their installation guy to install the units as they do installation free if you purchase the hardware from them.

I went into installation day with a pessimist approach but after spending 20-30 minutes with the tech I decided to move forward with the install. He let me know that if I was not 100% satisfied with his work he would reinstall my MB system and give me a full return on the equipment that I purchased from Best Buy if I wanted. He said he had performed roughly 40 Mercedes installs in his 14 years at Best Buy which is a big reason I moved forward.

The sound is not 100% of what the Bose system delivered before but it is dammed close. If Bose system is a 10 the new system is a 9. The install tech also said that I could achieve even better sound if I replace the current door speakers which Best Buy will install for nothing if I buy from them. I’ll likely be doing that soon and would have done it the same day if time would have permitted.

Bottom line is, don’t be afraid to make the transformation from the archaic Bose/Command system if you have a good installation technician. I was told several times to not let someone mess with my Comand system as ‘you’ll be sorry for it’ which is why I was so cautious to make the change. However, after my wife aid “either get a radio that I can take calls on or get me a new car” I decided it was worth the chance. Can’t tell you how happy we both are.

BTW, my total cost for the transformation was roughly $500. So far it’s the best half a grand I’ve spent on this car.

Good Luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by jmonty21:
mbprince (11-04-2023), WurlitzBurg (02-19-2023)
Old 01-17-2021, 10:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
06 SL500
Originally Posted by jmonty21
All,

Last week I had my Comand unit replaced with a JVC unit with Apple CarPlay and numerous other 21st century features that did not exist in my 18 year old SL 500. I could not be happier. I lost the ability to change the volume on the steering wheel but that was a small trade off for the array of features I gained from the transformation. It’s like night and day. My 2003 MB now seems current.

Also, I had an Alpine amplifier installed to drive the subwoofer and center channels. Initially I was going to do the install myself to save money but after buying the head unit and amplifier from Best Buy i was convinced to at least consider their installation guy to install the units as they do installation free if you purchase the hardware from them.

I went into installation day with a pessimist approach but after spending 20-30 minutes with the tech I decided to move forward with the install. He let me know that if I was not 100% satisfied with his work he would reinstall my MB system and give me a full return on the equipment that I purchased from Best Buy if I wanted. He said he had performed roughly 40 Mercedes installs in his 14 years at Best Buy which is a big reason I moved forward.

The sound is not 100% of what the Bose system delivered before but it is dammed close. If Bose system is a 10 the new system is a 9. The install tech also said that I could achieve even better sound if I replace the current door speakers which Best Buy will install for nothing if I buy from them. I’ll likely be doing that soon and would have done it the same day if time would have permitted.

Bottom line is, don’t be afraid to make the transformation from the archaic Bose/Command system if you have a good installation technician. I was told several times to not let someone mess with my Comand system as ‘you’ll be sorry for it’ which is why I was so cautious to make the change. However, after my wife aid “either get a radio that I can take calls on or get me a new car” I decided it was worth the chance. Can’t tell you how happy we both are.

BTW, my total cost for the transformation was roughly $500. So far it’s the best half a grand I’ve spent on this car.

Good Luck!
I was thinking about BB as well. I don't mind buying stuffs from them. I couldn't get hold of them today. Hope you can answer few questions for me:
1. Do they have the bezel to fit the JVC unit?
2. How about the microphone for cellphone (airplay or car play)? do they have to install a new microphone?
3. Did you have a backup camera install? do they sell that at BB?
Old 01-18-2021, 04:43 AM

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
R230 350SL
If all you wanted was phone call interactivity then just put the official Mercedes “Puck” in the armrest and the factory system does the rest. It’s all prewired and the factory microphone is good.

If you want Bluetooth connectivity for your phone to play music just get a Dension system to replace the CD Changer in the rear locker. Everything else stays stock, looks original, Steering Wheel Controls stay the same, linguatronic commands still work and you keep the Bose quality.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:56 AM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
LanceDal,
1. I used a model specific, double DIN bezel from Spiral Audio. It looks very factory. I'll attach a photo.
2. We used the microphone that came with the JVC unit. Photo attached.
3. Didn't do the backup camera yet. Going to do it later. Install guy has done them but significant job with the way the trunk and roof move so much during operation.
Hope that helps.

It's between the dials in front of the dimmer for the instrument panel.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2009 SL550
All,

Good Luck!
Hi jmonty21,
Did your BB technician tell you what speakers he would replace them with? I thought you could only get the factory speakers that fit in the door.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:29 PM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
He did not. Wants me to come to the store to discuss options. I’ll post once I know what direction we are going.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:33 PM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
Originally Posted by matk
If all you wanted was phone call interactivity then just put the official Mercedes “Puck” in the armrest and the factory system does the rest. It’s all prewired and the factory microphone is good.

If you want Bluetooth connectivity for your phone to play music just get a Dension system to replace the CD Changer in the rear locker. Everything else stays stock, looks original, Steering Wheel Controls stay the same, linguatronic commands still work and you keep the Bose quality.
We really wanted all of the above plus Apple CarPlay. In addition, the Command screen needed replaced as it had terrible sun damage and the previous owner cut the phone wiring out of the storage area in the middle.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:33 PM

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
R230 350SL
I get the common sense in your approach now
Old 01-20-2021, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
All,

Good Luck!
Have your install guy add the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 and you will be able to raise and lower the volume AND answer/make calls (as well as turn on the voice control features of your new head unit) with the 4 right side buttons. I have been using this set-up on my 2003 SL55 and it works great.

Also, if you have not done it already, you can change your clock so that it is set-able from the steering wheel buttons (as you no longer have the head unit controlling that). Its been a few years since I did this, but I am pretty sure these are the instructions I used ...

(The following will enable you to set the hours/minutes in the menu where you normally can only shift between 12H/24H formats)
You need Star with Developer mode

Go to:
"Control units"
"Information and communication"
"ICM - Instument cluster with maintenance interval display"
"Diagnosis to plant specifications"
"Control unit adaptations"
"Control unit adaptations (variant coding)"
"Variantenkodierung Werkseinstellungen"
Scroll down and set "Uhrenverstellung" to "enable"

hope that helps,
Chris
The following 3 users liked this post by latemodel21:
marko69 (11-17-2023), mbprince (11-04-2023), Wally892 (03-11-2023)
Old 01-20-2021, 07:30 PM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
Originally Posted by latemodel21
Have your install guy add the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 and you will be able to raise and lower the volume AND answer/make calls (as well as turn on the voice control features of your new head unit) with the 4 right side buttons. I have been using this set-up on my 2003 SL55 and it works great.

Also, if you have not done it already, you can change your clock so that it is set-able from the steering wheel buttons (as you no longer have the head unit controlling that). Its been a few years since I did this, but I am pretty sure these are the instructions I used ...

(The following will enable you to set the hours/minutes in the menu where you normally can only shift between 12H/24H formats)
You need Star with Developer mode

Go to:
"Control units"
"Information and communication"
"ICM - Instument cluster with maintenance interval display"
"Diagnosis to plant specifications"
"Control unit adaptations"
"Control unit adaptations (variant coding)"
"Variantenkodierung Werkseinstellungen"
Scroll down and set "Uhrenverstellung" to "enable"

hope that helps,
Chris
Thanks Chris. I’ll definitely ask him to give this a try.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
Could you show/list what parts etc. were used and done by best buy installer on 2003 sl. Thx.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:00 PM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
Originally Posted by theboogers
Could you show/list what parts etc. were used and done by best buy installer on 2003 sl. Thx.
Sorry for the delay. Had the driver's door panel off for a few days trying to take care of some broken plastics.

I went with the Spiral Audio double DIN bezel for a custom fit/look. Inside is a JVC KW-M750BT head unit with an Alpine 4 Channel Amp (Don't remember the model number but it wasn't the most elaborate one they offered). Purchased the antenna adapter to utilize the factory radio antenna and it works just fine. Also had to purchase some "Speed" cable to get the wiring from the head uint to the speaker hub location behind the driver's seat and some RCA cable to get signal from head unit to the new amplifier.

Hope that helps. I really like my new system.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
What state is your installer in? Also does the system get sirius satellite radio?
thx
Old 01-26-2021, 06:02 PM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
What state is your installer in? Also does the system get sirius satellite radio?
thx
He’s in Naples, Florida. Yes, SiriusXM is built into the JVC unit. First 4 months are free.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Really appreciate the answers. Have you asked about a wireless back up camera to integrate? They even have solar frames to power the camera. Thx
Old 01-26-2021, 10:53 PM

2003 SL500, 2013 SL550
Really appreciate the answers. Have you asked about a wireless back up camera to integrate? They even have solar frames to power the camera. Thx
I have not asked about wireless system. I will look into it before doing anything. There is a "bullet" style camera that my installation guy is recommending that goes on the bottom of the rear bumper that is fairly easy to install, unobtrusive, and apparently works quite well that I will likely go with given the JVC unit has a video input ready to accept the signal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Upgrade 2003 SL500 Radio