SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Trunk wont close

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 02:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 s550
Trunk wont close

Anyone have any ideas on this? See pic. Was trying to open the top, this is as far as it got and now it wont do anything...

Old 05-17-2021, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550
Same thing just happened to me. 2007 SL550. Top was working fine and then today I went to open it and it popped the trunk up and then nothing. I wonder if it's the rear trunk latch not releasing so the trunk can tilt back enough. I just heard the hydraulics working and then nothing. Now it does nothing like you said.
Did you find anything out yet?
Old 05-18-2021, 09:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 s550
Originally Posted by surfsail50
Same thing just happened to me. 2007 SL550. Top was working fine and then today I went to open it and it popped the trunk up and then nothing. I wonder if it's the rear trunk latch not releasing so the trunk can tilt back enough. I just heard the hydraulics working and then nothing. Now it does nothing like you said.
Did you find anything out yet?
Yes, sorry should have posted this earlier. Took it to my mechanic and the issue was it was leaking hydraulic fluid, about a cup, so when they topped it off, it worked fine. Now the reason it was leaking fluid was because one of the top cylinders was leaking and they replaced that. Now i will say i dont think its 100% yet because when we opened it and tried closing it, it got stuck again about half way up. We let it sit 10 minutes per the owners manual, tried it again and it closed completely. We havent tried to open it again because its been raining, but will give it a shot later in the week and see what happens. I have a feeling this top is going to cost me some $$$ to get sorted...
Old 05-21-2021, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550
Originally Posted by warnerca
Yes, sorry should have posted this earlier. Took it to my mechanic and the issue was it was leaking hydraulic fluid, about a cup, so when they topped it off, it worked fine. Now the reason it was leaking fluid was because one of the top cylinders was leaking and they replaced that. Now i will say i dont think its 100% yet because when we opened it and tried closing it, it got stuck again about half way up. We let it sit 10 minutes per the owners manual, tried it again and it closed completely. We havent tried to open it again because its been raining, but will give it a shot later in the week and see what happens. I have a feeling this top is going to cost me some $$$ to get sorted...
I looked at my reservoir and it's empty so I have a leak somewhere as well. I have fluid on order and will refill it and see what happens. I have read that some owners just keep refilling the reservoir every 4-5 times to keep the top operational until the leak is found and sorted out...
In case anyone else is following this... In order to get to my reservoir I had to use the key to manually open the trunk and once I was able to access the trunk I was able to close the front part of the trunk lid that was sticking up as in your photo by turning the hex bolts on either side (see photo)

to lower the front of the trunk lid. Could drive the car albeit with a red warning message that roof was in operation...