SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Existing aftermarket stereo system - reuse Bose Sub?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 10:34 PM

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
1998 E300TD
Existing aftermarket stereo system - reuse Bose Sub?

Hi All, finally getting around to reworking the already aftermarket sound system in my 03 SL55. Here's what I have:

Headunit: Seicane Android with RCA outputs to Amp (LINK)
Amp: JL Audio XD700/5 (
LINK LINK
)
Door Speakers: Infinity Kappa Perfect 6" and Pioneer Pro 3.5" bullet tweeters w/ a resistor inline from the Infinities.
Rear deck Speakers: Rockford Fosgate 4" speakers (someone cut a bunch of plastic out and zip tied them in place. They are blown, which is what started me wanting to straighten the mess out)
Original subwoofer has been removed.

The sound is pretty flat but bright and not overly enjoyable at all. It seems the amp is 'fairly' decent quality as are the door speakers. I'm going to replace the rear speakers with something along the same lines as the door speakers. I see the door speakers are 3.5ohm and the current rear decks are 4ohm.

My amp will output a 2ohm sub signal, which is what I believe the original sub was. Having never heard one, is it worth thinking about installing a used Ebay one with the current system (if that would even work) or try to fab a box with a shallow 8-10" sub in the footwell?

Also, if you see some critical flaw in the existing hardware, please don't be shy to speak out! It came this way and the best I can tell is a few people have touched this audio system over the years.

As always, thanks for the help!

Old 06-15-2021, 07:55 AM

1998 E300TD
My just put 1/2 of this setup in the footwell and call it a day: JBL Fuse
Old 06-28-2021, 07:08 AM

1998 E300TD
Hi all, just to follow-up, the JBL Fuse is a great unit and fits very nicely under the carpet and floor mat in the stock location. I just made a jumper from the factory plug. Makes just enough hit to add some richness to the environment but doesn't shake everything to death. Guess I need to find someone with an R230 to sell the other half of the pair to.