SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: HELP with No Start on 03 SL500 (R230)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl500
HELP with No Start on 03 SL500 (R230)

Really appreciate any help!
OK, so I have always used the chipcard to operate my vehicle and am unable to find my physical key.
I went to start it and the dash lit up and then 'fizzled' out after a few seconds and the car would not start nor would anything else in the car operate.
The front battery has 12.8 volts but I am unable to get to the rear battery as I do not have the key to open the trunk.

Is there any other way to get into the trunk or does the rear battery have remote charging posts?

For the last couple of months I would have to drive for about 10-15 mins. before the consumer battery was charged enough to operate the roof and other things as well.

Anyway, I hope I have provided enough intel for one of you guys to steer me in the right direction.
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2021, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 303 Likes on 230 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
You should be able to start the car with a good starter battery and dead consumer battery using the chip card. The problem is that the car needs to wake up using power from the starter battery because the normal wakeup doesn't happen with a dead consumer battery. With the key, this happens when the key is inserted. To start with the card, you need to press in the key slot to wake up the car, simulating what happens when you insert the key. Once the car is 'awake' the keyless go should work.

If that doesn't work, you can charge the rear battery through a couple of locations. The rear battery connects directly to the alternator output (through a fuse), but that is difficult to access. Another access point is F52, which has the less than elegant translation of 'fuse through plating'. It is the round junction box in the right side footwell just below the glovebox. There are two fuses in the box, the top 200 amp fuse connects the alternator and the rear battery. You can put the positive clamp of the charger on either end of the fuse and find a good ground point for the negative.
The following users liked this post:
Gene Fiorot (06-26-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 09:18 PM

sl500
OKI, going to try now while I have a little bit of sunlight left.
Thanks so much for the reply!!
Will reply within 30 mins hopefully if you still happen to be around
Old 06-24-2021, 09:30 PM

sl500
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK, YOU THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK, YOU THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK, YOU THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK, YOU THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK, YOU!!!!!!!!!!

YOUR FIRST OPTION WORKED AND SHE FIRED RIGHT UP. I HAVE BEEN TEARING THE HOUSE APART FOR 2.5 DAYS AND IT'S INCREDIBLE HOW YOU SOLVED IT WITHIN MINS,
OOOPS, FORGOT CPS LOCK WAS ON.
Thanks again, you have no idea how much you helped me. My trunk battery is an Interstate so should be easy to replace.

I only have a little light left and want to put my CTEK 8 stage charger on trunk Batt. for heck of it.

Pat yourself on the back as you got another guy back on the road.
Sean