SL/R230: Water in Tail light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 01:24 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Former R230, W220 and W221 owner
Water in Tail light

2003 Sl500

I bought the car with the original red tail lights. I noticed condensation in the right tail light from day one but didn't pay it mind until BOTH tail lights went out- the LED's burned out. So I decided to upgrade and replace the tail lights with the ones that have the white strip on the bottom. Once again water got in the light- specifically the right side. I went to my mechanic and he suspected frame damage may be causing the lights to not sit properly- he made some modifications and we were able to make the lights fit tighter into the space.

Once again water got into the light- a lot of it. The bottom half was filled with water. I took the light out and water just gushed out like a waterfall. I let it dry but before putting it back in, I decided to drill some small holes on the bottom of the light to allow the water to drip out in the future.

At this point I don't know what to do- I see no water anywhere in the trunk and my mechanic even sealed the lights before putting them back in. I can't for the life of me figure out how the water is getting in