SL/R230: A/C System Overview

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 08:09 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
1998 E300TD
A/C System Overview

Evening All,

Is there a place that gives an overview of the AC system for the R230, or where to start the diagnosis process with STAR? Now that we have had a couple of cooler days I realized that I am a) not getting any heat and b) unable to not make it blow through the dash vents, no matter what is selected. The floor and defrost will blow, but there is always air from the dash.

I used STAR to get the AC codes but it was a bunch of them from when I drove it with the control module out to the upholstery shop; I reset all of those codes to no effect. I also did a parameter reading and got the following with the AC on full:

As always, Thanks!
Old 09-07-2021, 08:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Best of my recollection is that the center and side vents are controlled by the thumb knobs located under the center vent in my 2008. That is the only way I can effectively eliminate any air from those vents.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e500
Hi I have the same issue with my r230.

Originally Posted by 6_Myles
Evening All,

Is there a place that gives an overview of the AC system for the R230, or where to start the diagnosis process with STAR? Now that we have had a couple of cooler days I realized that I am a) not getting any heat and b) unable to not make it blow through the dash vents, no matter what is selected. The floor and defrost will blow, but there is always air from the dash.

I used STAR to get the AC codes but it was a bunch of them from when I drove it with the control module out to the upholstery shop; I reset all of those codes to no effect. I also did a parameter reading and got the following with the AC on full:

As always, Thanks!
All the codes are coming up for me too, such as m16/25 m16/28 m16/14.... Like all the flaps.

Did you find a solution to this issue?
Old 04-28-2022, 03:23 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
1998 E300TD
Embarrassingly enough, when I replaced the trim interior trim on my center console, I neglected to either push in all the way or connect at all two of the connectors on the back of the controls.