SL/R230: Why aren't the m113k vehicles more valuable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 10:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 Clk430
Why aren't the m113k vehicles more valuable

Good morning gents and ladies.
I'm a bit perplexed at the current market in collectable Mercedes products. As a kid i've always look at the three pointed star a a guiding light towards innovation , fun a outlandish but sophisticated styling . I purchased my first Mercedes at the age of 19 for 2500$ and i was incredibly proud. The car was a 2001 clk 430 with the amg package, i looked at it as a young kid wide eyed finally realizing a dream of owning the car i use to see in the DTM was finally mine. I loved how they were able to link there entry level two door sports car to the clk gtr hyper car making even a young fool feel like I'm linked to something special. i for sure let my friends know that my car had things that were linked to the gtr " when it didnt" . The pinnacle of AMG fun and outlandish yet beautiful style kept me involved, fixated with the brand . I beat the ever living crap out of my clk and in that process looked up at the pantheon of that was the m113 engine. I placed a HUGE paxton novi 2000 super charge on it, then i placed a 76mm turbo and i still managed to daily drive it. All of my attempts were" if i can say in a bumble tone" were to mimic the pure awesome of the m113k. when i was a kid what ever had the m113k in it was world leading. Fastest convertible, sedan , suv , and coupe and a engine note to dye for. Well now that I'm a bit older and with a bit more cash to spend i went out to the market looking for a m113k powered vehicle and was quite a but disappointed in how valueless the vehicles were . I was finding 2008 sl55 vehicles with less the 50k miles for just over 30k. The original msrp was well over 100k and now they are the price of a two year old Toyota. I'm currently looking at purchasing a 2007 sl55 and in my price searching I've found so many vehicles under 38k and its got me wondering why are these vehicles so under valued? Just from my limited research on the R230 I'm looking at only 583 units made in 2007 and 1047 in total of the face lifted units from 07-08. I know they were never hero cars , they never really had a san Francisco chase, but for what they did for the German car market and image they created i'm surprised where they are now. Will the market ever change for these vehicles? we only got one real run at a supercharged mass market group of vehicles and i fear with the trend things are going we will not see this ever again.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
SL500 R230
Lower values are nothing to do with the engine. It's down to the complex nature of the rest of the car and the reliability problems that ensue. The worst culprit being the ABC suspension which needs regular expensive maintenance and repair.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts
95 SL600
Very few Mercedes are valuable, due to the maintenance factor. Right now all cars are absurdly priced.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2007 sl550
I agree it's the high maintenance cost that kills the resale values, once the warrantee runs out the drop is extreme. Jaguar had the same issue but as a working-class car lover it does open a lot of opportunity for risk takers or mechanically inclined.