SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Where is the water drain locations for the 2002 and up Mercedes SL, R230?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 11:55 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
Where is the water drain locations for the 2002 and up Mercedes SL, R230?

Hi.
I have no problem with any water leaks on my SL, R230
If you poure/have water in the trunk lid drain on each side (see the picture below) on my car the water comes out behind the rear wheels on the top slot in the slots on the plastic inner fender on each side which i am sure is correct
'
A friend of mine have the same car but if hi poure/have water in the the same drains the water comes out in front of the rear wheel on the right hand side and in the top slot in the slots on the plastic inner fender on the left side.
I think this is wrong and some owners of the car before my friend have had some work done to the right rear fender since it shows (in the correct lighting) that the rear fender have been repainted so i have a feeling that the hose that goes from the drain on the right hand side have been put back on wrong

What do you think? Any here have any diagrams/schhematics that show the routing of the drain hoses for the trunk "surround" you can post? If you have diagrams for the water drain for the whole car even better

The yellow arrow on the picture below shows where the water comes on my car.

The red arrow shows where the water comes out but only on the right hand side on my friends car. I am pretty sure that the water is not supposed to come out in front of the rear wheel like it does on the right hand side only on my friends car

Last edited by TheSaint; 08-25-2022 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:58 PM

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts
2005 SL600
On my 2005, on the left side the drain comes down in front of the wheel - there's actually two drain hoses right next to each other that come down from different sections of the back window and go through the area where the ABC rear accumulator/valve block module resides. There's a factory clip that holds the hoses in place, and no sign that my car's ever had any damage so I'm pretty sure it's correct. I've never had the right side apart, so I can't say for sure there.

Perhaps there was a design change over the years?
Old 08-27-2022, 01:49 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
Thanks for letting me know