SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: ABC Red Light on & off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl 550
ABC Red Light on & off

My 2007 SL 550 suspension became very soft and it is bottoming down at every bump on the road.
The heights are fine, and while parked it stays at the proper heights, it raises and lowers fine ..........it' s just very soft !

Any advice ?

Thank you
Old 02-13-2023, 03:06 PM

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Former R230, W220 and W221 owner
Originally Posted by CostaSl550
My 2007 SL 550 suspension became very soft and it is bottoming down at every bump on the road.
The heights are fine, and while parked it stays at the proper heights, it raises and lowers fine ..........it' s just very soft !

Any advice ?

Thank you
Light on and off, specifically over bumps is usually your accumulators. One in front, one in rear. It's best to replace both. If one is bad, the other is probably on it's way out to

There's also a pulsation dampener- on the 2007+ models- it's attached to the ABC pump. For this you would hear a humming noise

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...eco-2213280015

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...rteco-80001407

Also, save this to your favorites- it's EVERYTHING you would ever want to know about ABC

http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully.blogspot.com/

Last edited by imtheking; 02-13-2023 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl 550
Thank you very much, i will go through your "ABC bible" with my mechanic.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:40 AM

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Former R230, W220 and W221 owner
Originally Posted by CostaSl550
Thank you very much, i will go through your "ABC bible" with my mechanic.
here's a video to give you an idea of what's involved.

Also, another symptom is that the reservoir under the hood will overflow and get ABC fluid all over the place.

From the ABC bible (this happened to me)

If an accumulator has failed, the accumulator will fill with hydraulic fluid and the air will begin to work its way out of the system. While this process is occurring, the free air in the system expands whenever the system depressurizes, pushing fluid to and out of the reservoir. The fluid level in the reservoir will drop during this phase. Eventually all the air gets out, and the overflow behavior will cease. But by now you should be getting very frequent "Drive Carefully" messages on the dash due to the lack of available accumulator pressure to help fill the struts. The air in the accumulator has now been replaced by fluid, and it cannot accept any more fluid when the car is started and the system pressurizes.

Get these accumalators replaced ASAP. It's a wear and tear item. Parts are not that expensive and a good mercedes mechanic should be able to replace these in about 2 hours. I did mine myself and it was not that bad. Could have done it quicker if I had a lift