Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r230 sl500
Abc power steering fluid

Hi guys is this OK.for abc and power steering fluid on r230 sl500 03
Old 03-22-2023, 06:23 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Based strictly on the information from their website:
Specially formulated, synthetic oil based hydraulic fluid for power steering, central hydraulic, suspension level control, stability and traction control systems.

*CHF11S and CHF202 are trademarks of a limited liability lubricants supplier in Germany.

Recommended by Comma for applications requiring: CHF11S* and CHF202*

Old 03-22-2023, 07:20 PM

r230 sl500
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede
Based strictly on the information from their website:
so this should be ok and up to specification ?

Thanks for your reply
looked at data sheet says mb 345.0 which is the same aa pentison

Last edited by stoges1; 03-22-2023 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:27 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Yes, It's definitely to spec. If you get in the good habit of doing a fluid flush every 30 thousand miles, or 4 years, which ever comes first, then the fluid choice shouldn't really be a concern. I put 290,000 miles on my ABC system with regular fluid changes and the only issues I had with the system prior to failure were 2 hoses bursting. One of my shocks developed an increasingly severe leak @ 288,000 miles and I drove the vehicle for about a month with just replacing fluids whilst I wrestled with whether or not to refresh the ABC system or convert to coilovers. This was just as we were coming out of the pandemic and Arnott reiinstated their core buyback program for ABC shocks and that made my choice pretty easy, so I sold them the 4 shocks for $800 and purchased a set of BC Racing coilovers for $1100. During that month and 2000 miles whilst I was awaiting delivery of the new coilovers, since I was tossing the ABC components in the bin (excepting the shocks), I put regular power steering fluid, transmission fluid, and just for kicks on the last 2 days vegetable oil, in the system and each had a different effect on suspension performance, but the point is all of those fluids worked, so the ABC system isn't very fussy about fluids. Using the proper fluid just provides for longevity as that's what the system was designed for. But as long as you're committing to regular fluid changes, then I wouldn't be so concerned about the brand name of the fluid. Those regular fluid changes matter much more than whether Pentosin, or Comma, is on the bottle from which it came. 288,000 miles on any suspension is really good imo, So I think the ABC system is just fine as long as it's maintained. I'd simply decided that I'd rather not continue with ongoing suspension maintenance as a regular cost of ownership any longer so made the switch to coilovers after having the chance to ride in another converted R230 and saw first hand that all of the internet worries I'd read about over the years didn't match up to the reality of how they performed on our vehicles in the real world.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:55 AM

r230 sl500
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede
Yes, It's definitely to spec. If you get in the good habit of doing a fluid flush every 30 thousand miles, or 4 years, which ever comes first, then the fluid choice shouldn't really be a concern. I put 290,000 miles on my ABC system with regular fluid changes and the only issues I had with the system prior to failure were 2 hoses bursting. One of my shocks developed an increasingly severe leak @ 288,000 miles and I drove the vehicle for about a month with just replacing fluids whilst I wrestled with whether or not to refresh the ABC system or convert to coilovers. This was just as we were coming out of the pandemic and Arnott reiinstated their core buyback program for ABC shocks and that made my choice pretty easy, so I sold them the 4 shocks for $800 and purchased a set of BC Racing coilovers for $1100. During that month and 2000 miles whilst I was awaiting delivery of the new coilovers, since I was tossing the ABC components in the bin (excepting the shocks), I put regular power steering fluid, transmission fluid, and just for kicks on the last 2 days vegetable oil, in the system and each had a different effect on suspension performance, but the point is all of those fluids worked, so the ABC system isn't very fussy about fluids. Using the proper fluid just provides for longevity as that's what the system was designed for. But as long as you're committing to regular fluid changes, then I wouldn't be so concerned about the brand name of the fluid. Those regular fluid changes matter much more than whether Pentosin, or Comma, is on the bottle from which it came. 288,000 miles on any suspension is really good imo, So I think the ABC system is just fine as long as it's maintained. I'd simply decided that I'd rather not continue with ongoing suspension maintenance as a regular cost of ownership any longer so made the switch to coilovers after having the chance to ride in another converted R230 and saw first hand that all of the internet worries I'd read about over the years didn't match up to the reality of how they performed on our vehicles in the real world.
Thanks for your detailed response , is the abc filter easy to change I have ordered a 3 micron micris it just a case of unscrewing and swapping I have noticed there is a spring at the bottom on videos does this just pull out of existing one ?and insert in new one e t c any help much appreciated
Old 03-24-2023, 06:42 PM

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
2005 SL 500 R230
First remove the hose from the top of the filter housing.

You can see that the reservoir is clipped into the mounting bracket with (3?) pins into rubber grommets. Gently pry it out of its grommets and move it away from the bracket, enough so you can unscrew the cap and lift the filter out.

Once out it will be clear how the filter connects to the top housing. By moving the filter away from the top housing against spring pressure you will be able to push the spring up, unhook the old filter and hook the new one on. Be sure it's seated correctly then reassemble it all.

Once it's out it will be obvious; you can't make a mistake. It only goes one way. Just make sure the new filter is seated correctly on the top, and be surgically clean while you're in there.
The following users liked this post:
ParsleySL500 (03-25-2023)