SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: R230 Vario Roof Hydraulic lines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R230 SL500
R230 Vario Roof Hydraulic lines

I have just replaced my Roof Lock cylinder (from Top Hydraulics) and am threading the two lines back to the pump - removing the old ones as I go.
I have worked my way across the underside of the roof and have hit a snag at the main bend. There are two black metal clamps on the frame and I got past the first. The second one is extremely difficult to access. I have all the trim removed on the left side and rear of the trunk, as well as the Left C Panel trim on the Center console (the one with the small rectangular flap) and the Retaining Plate for the rear side power window (black metal beneath C Panel trim). I was able to remove the black bolt on top of the second clamp, but it's still very difficult to access. I tried with the top up/top down & every position in between. I even climbed into the trunk when it was up in the service access position. I have the two old hydraulic lines 30 and 90 separated from all the lines in the trunk and the only place still holding them (other than plugged into the pump) is that last clamp where there is a hard bend down into the trunk.

Can anyone suggest how to access that clamp? What am I missing? There must be a way for Mercedes techs to access this important juncture. I need to know what position the roof should be in, and whether I still need to to remove some further trim.
The WIS does not have any explicit instructions (that I can find) for this bend in the lines. I don't want to try to by-pass this area without going through the clamp - it's a major bend at the most dangerous point of vulnerability.

Last edited by Robert Buchan; 06-06-2023 at 01:36 PM.