SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: What's the difference between DAS and Xentry?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
R230 SL500
What's the difference between DAS and Xentry?

I purchased a knock off Xentry system with a OBDII/USB dongle for my 2003 R230. It consisted of an SSD and the dongle. I installed it on my Panasonic Toughbook and it works after they remotely activated it for me, but has very limited functionality. It will give me a few DTCs, but that's about it. When I try to delve into the the subsystems I get "Initialisation of diagnosis multiplexer failed"

I think that's because I don't have the multiplexer gadget. I've just ordered one off Aliexpress for $300. I know it's a clone, but I hope it will do what I need. Primarily I need to diagnose the roof and do things like actuate the flaps etc. The one I've ordered is the Mbstar C4 wifi no DOIP.

My question is; will it work with Xentry or do I need the older DAS software?
Old 11-01-2023, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,419 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
It may work, but it's kinda late to ask now. Just wait and see. By the way, a multiplexer (e.g., C3 or C4) is required for full functionality anyway.
Old 11-02-2023, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 320 Likes on 245 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
Newer cars have a diagnostic CAN network (CAN-D) and can be diagnosed with Xentry and a dongle. The R230 uses mostly K-line protocol on several of the OBDII optional pins, so diagnostics needs to switch between these pins. With Xentry (DAS), you need a multiplexer to read them all. The dongle will probably read OBDII mandated info and not much else. Every China hard drive I have seen had DAS included. Sometimes you can start DAS directly, but with later updates you generally start Xentry and once you select the R230 platform it will open DAS and redirect you there.

Also, if your system included WIS/EPC and Starfinder, make sure that you can run those. They are essential to diagnosing and repairing any Mercedes.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:09 PM

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts
SL500
Even with a C4 Multiplexor you are probably going to struggle to connect to your car.

The adapter you have is probably a "passthrough" device and runs on a passthrough version of Xentry which you will likely have been supplied

Your new C4 multiplexor will require the "openshell" version of Xentry. The version I have is 2021-12.

Software can be found for free, along with activation code generators, but is not a straight forward install. It is over 22Gb. It will run on windows 10.

I am not sure I am allowed to post the download link, but PM me for information.
The following users liked this post:
Rickyji (08-21-2024)
Old 11-03-2023, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
I got mine over a decade ago, developer mode and all. pretty cool stuff.

Are you sure these are the same products? You need the giant box, it should've came with the kit.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:19 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
I got mine over a decade ago, developer mode and all. pretty cool stuff.

Are you sure these are the same products? You need the giant box, it should've came with the kit.
There are two versions of Xentry:- "Passthrough" and "open shell"

Open shell is used for the Multiplexors (C3 and C4), and this is the version needed for our older cars (R230), as they are a combination of K-Line and CanBus communication.

Passthrough is for newer cars, and is just CanBus connection. This is a much simpler connection interface, and common amongst many vehicles, but will only communicate on CanBus, so will not talk to most modules on R230. This will be what the OP was originally supplied with. The interface can be purchased for $30 or less such as VAS5054 clones.

Both versions are identical to use, just the connection interfaces are different.

All versions of Xentry (DAS) have developer mode, but you need the correct STARTKEY to enable it.

gaazmon (11-04-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 10:14 AM

R230 SL500
Originally Posted by g0rsq
Even with a C4 Multiplexor you are probably going to struggle to connect to your car.

The adapter you have is probably a "passthrough" device and runs on a passthrough version of Xentry which you will likely have been supplied

Your new C4 multiplexor will require the "openshell" version of Xentry. The version I have is 2021-12.

Software can be found for free, along with activation code generators, but is not a straight forward install. It is over 22Gb. It will run on windows 10.

I am not sure I am allowed to post the download link, but PM me for information.
Thank you. I have sent you a PM.
Old 11-18-2023, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,419 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
All versions of Xentry (DAS) have developer mode, but you need the correct STARTKEY to enable it.
How can I tell if Developer mode is active on my Xentry/DAS configuration? (I know running DAS will provide a warning in German. If I get the warning using DAS, will it automatically apply to Xentry for newer cars?)
Old 11-18-2023, 11:44 AM

SL500
Originally Posted by Beeza
Thank you. I have sent you a PM.
Here are install instructions
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Xentry 2021 install.pdf (106.7 KB, 358 views)
Rickyji (08-21-2024)
Old 12-21-2023, 02:28 PM

R230 SL500
I want to give a massive shout out to g0rsg for helping me with the correct software. After some trial and error I now have a fully functional Xentry system for my SL. I have been able to diag several problems with the roof and I am systematically going through the numerous faults. Some were inherent faults and some caused by the previous mechanic. But progress is being made. One fault was the pin that goes into the windscreen pillar. The plastic part had broken off and was stuck inside the latch. I made a replacement pin out of a ground down bolt which now actuates the microswitch when the roof is latched closed. The real time monitoring of the position switches in Xentry is a huge help.

I'm now left with one fault which tells me that the boot divider needs to be closed. I have stripped out all the boot linings and shorted out the connecter for the divider microswitch, but I'm still getting that error. Time to peel back the bundle wrapping and look for a wiring fault.
Shades2024 (08-24-2024)
Old 12-21-2023, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
Is your PSE pump working? Trunk partition switch is read by the PSE pump.
Old 12-21-2023, 04:26 PM

SL500

I'm now left with one fault which tells me that the boot divider needs to be closed. I have stripped out all the boot linings and shorted out the connecter for the divider microswitch, but I'm still getting that error. Time to peel back the bundle wrapping and look for a wiring fault.
You now need WIS ASRA .

Electrical drawings for 2003 to 2008 models
Old 12-21-2023, 05:23 PM

R230 SL500
Originally Posted by MikeJ65
Is your PSE pump working? Trunk partition switch is read by the PSE pump.
The PSE pump is kind of working. I had to replace the motor. I got one off eBay that has the thermistor to protect it. The pump works. but several lines are leaking so it runs until it times out. I have removed the passenger seat to give me some working space so it blows air through the disconnected tube for the seat. The rear compartments are a mess of broken plastic and the soft close for the boot doesn't work.

Another work in progress. So it looks like I need to get the pneumatic system fully working to get the roof to work!
Old 12-21-2023, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As long as the pump is alive, it should be able to read the switch. Make sure that the small connector is plugged in, it is the one with the wire to the switch. You can pull up actual values on DAS and then backprobe and ground the green/orange wire on the small connector. That should make it recognize the partition as closed. If not, you have a problem with the PSE module.
Old 08-21-2024, 02:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C43

Hey g0rsq! I'd love to send you a PM and buy ya a beer mate but Im new to the site and I don't think I have messaging privileges.... ANyone can help me get those privileges or g0rsq can you send me a PM...that would be crazy appreciated. (Like many others before me I failed to deep dive into the complexities and put the car in sleep before unplugging the front camera for grill swap and now I need 360 config). Any and all help and feedback welcome. This site rocks.
Old 08-24-2024, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500SL
I want to give a massive shout out to g0rsg for helping me with the correct software. After some trial and error I now have a fully functional Xentry system for my SL. I have been able to diag several problems with the roof and I am systematically going through the numerous faults. Some were inherent faults and some caused by the previous mechanic. But progress is being made. One fault was the pin that goes into the windscreen pillar. The plastic part had broken off and was stuck inside the latch. I made a replacement pin out of a ground down bolt which now actuates the microswitch when the roof is latched closed. The real time monitoring of the position switches in Xentry is a huge help.

Hi all, for a newbie would you kindly share the HW/SW necessary to communicate with R230.
i can see the successful thread, and would like assistance in interrogating the car’s Dual Battery R230 Dual Battery and resetting of
On-board Electrical System, including DTC’s set in the vehicle power supply control module (N82/1).
Seems the BNS unit (boot) is indicating high resistance and slowly cooking the System battery.
Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Old 08-24-2024, 04:20 PM

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
2007 SL550 & 2012 S550 4matic
Shades, here’s what many forum members use. Lowest risk solution out there, plus online support to help you with your projects.
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...a-s-n-1-a.html
BenzNinja (08-24-2024)