SL/R230: Rear view mirror removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 11:53 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2007 Mercedes SL55 AMG
Rear view mirror removal

Hi all,

I haven't really been able to find a clear topic for this, I'm trying to remove the rear view mirror from my 07 due to a really annoying mistake on my part. So, when I was installing my radar detector mount I placed a screw on top of the mirror housing and wouldn't you know... in slow motion the screw simply rolled into the void never to be seen again, only to cause an irritating rattle occasionally when driving. So, my question is how can I remove the mirror housing and get this screw out? I tried removing the Overhead control Panel and I was looking for this nut that I did read about, I'm not sure if the 07-12 is different. But hey, If anyone has any instructions on how to remove this I'd really appreciate it and heck, if you're close to Orlando and like beer, then the first rounds on me.
Old 11-10-2023, 12:50 PM

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
SL 500 2004, Ford F-150-2014
You do not have to remove the assembly off the car to access the internals..! The housing is two parts enclosure. There are resilient plastic tabs holding them together. Just take a kitchen knife and put it around the parting line, lift and pray out carefully since the tabs are easy to break!
The knife should be inserted with the handle oriented towards the windshield!

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Abebundance (11-10-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just looking
Originally Posted by Abebundance
Hi all,

I haven't really been able to find a clear topic for this, I'm trying to remove the rear view mirror from my 07 due to a really annoying mistake on my part. So, when I was installing my radar detector mount I placed a screw on top of the mirror housing and wouldn't you know... in slow motion the screw simply rolled into the void never to be seen again, only to cause an irritating rattle occasionally when driving. So, my question is how can I remove the mirror housing and get this screw out? I tried removing the Overhead control Panel and I was looking for this nut that I did read about, I'm not sure if the 07-12 is different. But hey, If anyone has any instructions on how to remove this, I'd really appreciate it, and heck, if you're close to Orlando and like beer, then the first rounds on me. For more tips and insights on archery gear, check out ArcheryPick.
My current rear view mirror (windshield) is crumbling away into nothingness, so have a replacement. The replacement has the button attached, but really, my existing windshield button is fine. However, I'm not sure how to either get the existing mirror off its button, or the new one off of its button. The little "tab" that the loop on the end of the button slides over looks like maybe you should pry it one direction or the other, but it really isn't moving much either way, and like I said...I'm not sure which way I need to push it, if in fact that's what I need to do.