SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SiriusXM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 02:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2007 MBZ SL550
SiriusXM

I'm getting hounded by SiriusXM to "renew" my account. This is only because I purchased my MBZ in Aug/2023, and it logs out when ownership changes. Presently, the contract is three dollars a month for three years. My question is this. How many of you use the SAT service, and is it worth it? I would jump at creating a new account if it meant that it also came with the SAT phone feature.

Thank you all again, and a very Merry Christmas to all of you.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,417 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
You have options, such as adding a CarPlay interface (I believe). Do you know what version Nav system you have?

If you don't want to go that way, SiriusXM is an option. Will it interface with Navigation to provide traffic information.

I just don't know that much about your car.
Old 12-23-2023, 12:16 AM

Received 176 Likes on 133 Posts
SL55AMG, GL450, SLK, S550, Maserati Coupe
I think that anything newer than about 2013 is Serius compatible, but I'm not sure.
I got a "free" Serius Satellite radio subscription when I took my 2013 X166 GL450 SUV (It's not my SL, but we are talking about Serius here), to the dealer for a new windshield a year ago - brought to MBZ dealership for new glass because Safelite could never, after three tries, get the right glass since my vehicle has all the optional electronics at the top of the windshield. The dealer of course with the VIN, got the right glass for about $1400 and they have an actual windshield installer guy come do the install for another $350, after which the dealer "programs" the electronics for another $400, Total $1978.50 for a new windshield. This was the only thing I would be taking my Mercedes of any model to any MBZ dealership for, since I know from experience they are the worst horrible robbers imaginable. Why? I could write a book. But, I digress. Apparently since I got the windshield there, they signed me up for a free year of Serius XM radio. Okay...
I have the 6 or 8- disc CD changer built in the dash, plus AM/FM radio, plus a slot for an SD card and I can fill those with music - I dunno how many songs, but a LOT of them on a SD card. Frankly, I never used Seruis satellite radio and have no interest. I just this week started getting emails saying "It's time to renew your subscription". No Thanks! I don't care what it costs, or how many channels of whatever, Just Forgettaboutit. Sometimes I just turn the radio off and drive in silence, that sounds very nice too. I mark those "renew" emails as Spam, and when I get postcards from the evil Mercedes Benz dealership saying "Bring your car in..." I put them in my paper shredder. Thank God my insurance deductible for the windshield was $100 so that's all I paid, and my insurance paid the other $1878.50
When I did bring in the SUV, I first took out everything inside, including the floor mats, leaving them at home, so the dealership people could not steal them out of my car. (They actually did that before.) HA!!!!!
Now, everyone is different, it is possible that for three bucks a month you might find it worthwhile if you wanted radio without commercial ads, etc., but it's just not for me. I sure would not sign a 3 year contract though!

Last edited by tonylinc; 12-23-2023 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-23-2023, 11:53 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2007 MBZ SL550
I thought it might be a good option just in case I needed it. I use my CD (6) changer ALL the time. I have never understood why most of these cars don't have an AUX port to plug in your iPod. It makes much more sense than using CDs.
Old 12-23-2023, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 320 Likes on 245 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
I like the service, hate their business practices. My wife has it on the 2011 S550. It works fine, but doesn't have all of the channels available because it is an older receiver. $3/month probably doesn't include their royalty charge which might be $8/month and good luck trying to cancel.
Old 12-24-2023, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 733 Likes on 548 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
IF you drive short distances I say NO not worth it.
If you drive long distances where you go drop one FM station and end up finding new ones then Sirrius/XM is worth it since you have the same channels country wide and a large selection.

So good for road trips not so much for commute as any local FM for 10-20min is tolerable in AMto get local traffic and weather etc.

PS I have XM Lifetime subscription I got many years ago before the 2 companies merged.
It is tied to a hand carried pioneer made I-pod type XM receiver, came with cradles to connect to car or home radio systems and can play thru headphones.
They want too much to transfer subscription to car and if I Sell car Iose the subscription.

I tell ya it was the best $300 I ever spent for what I get out of it- Wish DirecTV would do the same.
The following users liked this post:
Ossidian (12-24-2023)
Old 01-01-2024, 08:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 MB E430 1998 SL500
New to me 2007 230 and SAT radio

Hi:
Am selling my CL500 that I have owned for 5 years and have bought/been driving my new to me 2007 SL550 with 44K miles. My first impression is of the huge decrease in perceived quality from the CL to the SL. CL doors are extremely solid and SL doors seem a bit flimsy but I will no doubt get used to them. I took the SL out on the highway today and was also dismayed about the huge tire noise that the SL's have but, again, I will get used to that just like I did for my R129 over my E430. Other than that the SL will be a great and fun car. It came with the built-in SAT tuner and works quite well but the 2007 is only a 128 channel tuner so here is my first problem...Sirius supplies about 404 channels (Music/Entertainment group) and my SAT tuner does not grab channel 150 and 305 but fills up with lower numbered channels. I haven't figured out how to fix this yet since i would prefer to get the stock looking system to work rather than going to a hang-on blue tooth system. I plan to call Delphi (SAT tuner maker for MB) in the next few days to straighten this out. I am assuming that my system can be modified to grab two of the higher channels but I may be looking at updating the tuner in the trunk just to get this option to work. I am sure that Sirius does not have the capability to alter my system. I'll keep you posted on this. Siirius wants $267/yr for this mid category of service on my car. I get all of the comedy, Country, news, world news, rock and pop music (up to 128 channels) that anyone wold ever need.