SL/R230: ESP ABS lights, transmission limp mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500
ESP ABS lights, transmission limp mode

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has experienced or might have a solution to a few lights/symptoms that just came on in my '05 500. After a pretty heavy rainstorm, went to start the car and got ABS ESP visit workshop. That day, decided to take a different car but the next time I came back to start/drive it, same lights, shifted and got the "clunk" and refusing to shift out of 1st gear that comes with a transmission in limp mode. Took it to an independent shop for diagnosis and they said the ECU and transmission controller were not communicating properly. On the way home, revved it up a bit (3500ish) and parked. Turned the car off, than turned it on again to reposition and no more ABS ESP lights, transmission not in limp mode. Drove fine for a while, than when I went to start it this morning, had the same ABS ESP limp mode problem as before. Any insight would be very appreciated into this confusing problem. Thank you very much.
Old 12-29-2023, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts
95 SL600
Sounds like something in the front sam boxes, or rear has gotten wet. Pull them open and investigate for moisture. When they get wet it’s not good, it gets real expensive real fast.