SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Bricked Keyless Go Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL500
Bricked Keyless Go Key

So I just picked up a very nice used 2004 R230 SL500 with Keyless Go (KG). The seller told me I'd get two keys with the car. When he delivered the car to me, he gave me one original key to the car. When I asked about the second key he said he would send an automotive locksmith to program a second key - got me nervous right there. The locksmith shows up and plugs in his computer and proceeds to work his "professional magic". He then starts to fumble around with the start button on the shifter and then pronounces that he has to leave and says the original key doesn't work. He removes the ignition switch from the car, takes some codes and leaves. He comes back with two aftermarket keys and says here ya go...

But now the original key is bricked - doesn't work at all. And the two new aftermarket keys don't allow KG functionality.

I went to my Mercedes dealer to get some advice - they told me I was screwed. Mercedes doesn't support KG for 2004 models anymore. I can't order a new key, I can't program the old key and I will just have to live with the aftermarket keys and will never have KG ever again.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there really no fix??

Ugh!