SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Advice Needed for SAM Issue w/ Dual Ignition Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 03:14 PM

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts
1988 BMW M5, 1989 BMW M3, 1979 Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9, 2006 SL55 AMG w/ P30 Performance Pack
Advice Needed for SAM Issue w/ Dual Ignition Start

Hello all, Sorry if my title looks like a click bate (it's not) but was hoping it would get your attention. My 2006 SL55 has the optional push start on the shifter. For many years I have been told I have two separate ignitions - 2 ways to start the car. For the past 3 years I have NOT been using the key fog to start the car because of possible EIS issues that I chose to defer repairs. I ignored the issue since it's so much more convenient (and cool) to use the push start button. Today I have decided to tackle my issue and wanted to reach out first because I have not found any other threads that have my exact situation. I have read every possible defective SAM and EIS fixes and none mentions their car has the optional push start system. Using the push to start causes no faults.
  • When using the key fob to start or put on accessory position, I have no use of windshield wipers, auto headlight on feature, no power to Command system, cigarette lighter and a fast clicking noise coming from dash. (all common faults due to bad SAM I have found in the threads) If I leave the key in for more than 15 minutes - Command will randomly power up temporarily. (This was about the time my SRS light came on too. My STAR diagnostic can't communicate with the module but that is another topic)
  • When I use the start button all these features are back and everything is fine. However; the past few days though the Command looses connection while driving. It has nothing to do with hitting bumps in the road and seems to loose power just sitting at a light. This is the only fault so far when using push to start button.

So now I think the "issue" is starting to show up after using the push start feature. I figured it's time to address this before it gets worse. The advice I need is not know is this issue related to faulty EIS? If EIS was defective wouldn't I have trouble starting the car using the key fob? I contacted an EIS repair vendor and was told my EIS seems to be working fine since I'm able to start the car normally. Are the systems really separate?

I will hook up my STAR and see if the weird errors I got in the past are still going to come up. One weird error was "Overhead Panel has unknown error 0000!" I replaced it with a new one due to a bad fan for the temp sensor and programmed it correctly 2 years ago. AC and other features of the panel are working fine. I'll post any new errors I find too.

Car has been a California/ Arizona car and has no know corrosion issues. I have worked on the ABC, variotop, SBC and many other systems and found no corrosion or visual corrosion in wiring. No water leaks every intruding into the cabin, trunk of engine compartments. If anyone can share any tips or observations it would make this daunting fix more pleasant for me. I have already sourced either new or rebuilt rear SAM units. I do work for Mercedes Benz now and get a good discount on parts and service but prefer to work on my own car for personal reasons.

Thanks again for any insights

Finally got my MBH Motorpsort long tubes on and I'm done with mods after 8 years of tinkering! I know famous last words

https://www.instagram.com/enjoy_the_vroom/?hl=en

Last edited by m5zealot; 04-23-2024 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling