SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Battery light “Visit Workshop”

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Battery light “Visit Workshop”

So I had to replace my front battery so, now every few days (not everyday) on first start up, I get the red battery light “Visit Workshop” warning. I took it to two different places to have both batteries tested and they are good. My alternator also tested good. I scanned it myself and there are no malfunctions. I was not getting this warning before I replaced the battery. Is there a reset that needs to be done??? 🤷🏽‍♂️
Old 04-25-2024, 06:39 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon 2002 E430 2004 SL500
You can take it to the dealer and have them do a diagnostic run (billable) and maybe sweet talk the service advisor/tech to clear it out for free. A local MB dealer had a "free" multipoint inspection, I had the same condition on my SL, took it in, told service advisor about it beforehand, offered to pay the $199.99 diag fee. Net/net they cleared it out and did not even charge me, your results may vary.
The following users liked this post:
TxBenzIn (04-28-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 05:00 PM

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts
SL500
What scanner did you use? You really need a Mercedes specific scanner for these cars, such as iCarsoft MBII or one of the other recommend scanners. A generic ODBII isnt going to be much use if you are trying to use that.

Sometimes a diagnostic reset will work.

When you changed the front battery (they rarely give problems) you did disconnect the rear battery first! If not disconnect rear battery, disconnect front battery. Wait 30 mins, then reconnect front battery, followed by rear battery. It might just work...

Why did you change front battery. They rarely give trouble. Is it charging OK. Rear battery is charged by alternator, and front battery is charged by BCM. With engine running you should see front battery voltage increase.