SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Hardtop Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 500
Hardtop Help

I’m working on my Vet dad’s 2004 SL 500 to get it back in shape. It’s been a journey of 4 years so far. The top had not gone down in that time and nothing happened when you pushed the switch for the top, so I found a video to manually lower the Vairo top just to get it down. All of that worked, but along came other issues when I put the hardtop back up.
Although the hardtop is back up and locked the vehicle thinks that it’s “In operation,” and “lock hardtop,” are displayed on the instrument cluster, along with chiming.
I believe this is also affecting the windows not wanting to close/lower the 1/4 inch or so when the doors are opened and closed.
Is there any way to disable/disconnect the electrical for the hardtop so the vehicle doesn’t display this as an issue?
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Old 05-17-2024, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 188 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
The first thing to look at, is if the black plastic pin on the right front lock is actuating the switch in the lock receptacle above the windscreen.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 212 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
You can pull the fuses for the RVC (roof control), but I'm not sure if that will clear the warnings. Many of the cluster warnings are displayed by default and turned off by another module. That is so that safety warnings are displayed if a module fails. The RVC also controls your rear windows, so disabling it won't restore the short stroke window operation.

From a more practical side, why not repair the roof? I don't know what your mechanical and electrical skills are, but if you can manually lower the roof I think you are capable of learning to do anything required to repair it. Honestly, the mechanical and electrical skills required are pretty minimal, it is all about knowing common issues and what to test/replace.

Invest in a lower cost, Mercedes specific scanner and we can help walk you through the troubleshooting. Also, if you let us know your location, there is likely someone in your area who can help.
Old 05-17-2024, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 500
Originally Posted by Frederick NL
The first thing to look at, is if the black plastic pin on the right front lock is actuating the switch in the lock receptacle above the windscreen.

Thanks for the replies folks.
I’ll give both a shot.

I considered having all of the cylinders, and pump replaced/repaired, but commercially couldn’t find anyone to do the work. MB Dealer in my area even declined to work on it and to be very frank, I don’t have much confidence in their knowledge or willingness to work on a 20yo vehicle.