SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: What kind of paint on 2004 SL500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2024, 12:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL500
What kind of paint on 2004 SL500?

Background: One of the front bumper moldings on my 2004 SL500 is damaged and I need to replace it. I couldn't find anything in the correct color or in primer so I ordered a used Magma Red one and I need to repaint it to Pewter Silver. Does anyone know what type paint MB used on the 2004s and /or what types of touch up spray paint is compatible with the original paint?

I don't need a discussion about paint colors or color codes, I need to know the type of paint.
Old 06-07-2024, 08:56 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2004 SL500AMG, 2003 SL500 USA
Painting your exterior:

Paint tech has moved on. My body shop supply company in Durham NC - United Imports uses the latest type and sells retail. He uses the paint code found on a sticker under the hood or from your VIN decode. He supplies 2 stage paint (base and clearcoat), wax and grease remover, recommends 640 grit sandpaper, a tack cloth. Harbor Freight tools has cheap automotive air guns. Use lacquer thinner to clean paint gun. I use high gloss. He can also match the paint color with a photographic device.

He can supply a single stage can of paint or put any paint in an aerosol can. The single stage does not require a clearcoat. Your original paint is 2 stage.

His metallic paint does not atomize to a proper finish look when brushed on. Mercedes will supply a 2 stage tiny brush touchup kit unless it is no longer carried by the dealer's parts department.
Old 06-07-2024, 09:50 AM

SL500
Originally Posted by aegea
Painting your exterior:

Paint tech has moved on. My body shop supply company in Durham NC - United Imports uses the latest type and sells retail. He uses the paint code found on a sticker under the hood or from your VIN decode. He supplies 2 stage paint (base and clearcoat), wax and grease remover, recommends 640 grit sandpaper, a tack cloth. Harbor Freight tools has cheap automotive air guns. Use lacquer thinner to clean paint gun. I use high gloss. He can also match the paint color with a photographic device.

He can supply a single stage can of paint or put any paint in an aerosol can. The single stage does not require a clearcoat. Your original paint is 2 stage.

His metallic paint does not atomize to a proper finish look when brushed on. Mercedes will supply a 2 stage tiny brush touchup kit unless it is no longer carried by the dealer's parts department.
The part is about 3 inches tall and about 18 inches long so it's too large to paint with brushed on paint. I was hoping that I could use spray paint from a rattle can but I don't know if that will work with the metallic particles and if I can gt them to lay properly and look right. And I'm also concerned about how the old and new paints will interact, I've seen a lot of cars where the new paint would bubble up or develop large wrinkles when applied over certain types of old paint. Also I like to put my paint on thin and in multiple layers and a lot of the rattle can paint is too thick IMO and it looks like someone poured it unto the object. So if I don't like the looks of the paint from a a rattle can then I will buy liquid paint in a can and try to use an airless sprayer. If that fails I may have to resort to an old fashioned high pressure paint gun. I have painted my own cars in the past and I still have all of the traditional spray guns, air compressor, etc but the last one was 30 years ago and paint chemistry has changed considerably.

I definitely plan on adding clear coat. And yes, I will definitely use a wax/ silicone remover (Prep Sol) and a tack cloth before painting! Also I already have one of those small 2 stage brush on, touch up paint kits on order so that I can touch up some small paint chips.

I will contact United Imports and see what they recommend.
Old 06-07-2024, 10:21 AM

I just painted my 2003 500sl side mirror. I used their single stage paint matched metallic aerosol. I disassembled it, washed it, sanded with a fine sponge pad, feathered peeled paint edges with 1000 grit, used "prep sol", used tack cloth... sprayed aerosol with light mist coats until about covered, waited 20 minutes, sprayed 2 normal coats until paint flashed wetlook.

Mike is their expert. He may not have much time to discuss details. I don’t know if he ships. I would use their single stage, high gloss, made using the paint code under your hood.
Old 06-10-2024, 11:21 AM

Hey FL SL500,

Have you tried a paint yet? I am curious if you contacted my guy. I don't want to bug him. But, I wonder if he ships.
Old 06-10-2024, 05:27 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by aegea
Hey FL SL500,

Have you tried a paint yet? I am curious if you contacted my guy. I don't want to bug him. But, I wonder if he ships.
No, not yet. We had family come in from out of town and staying with us so free time has been scarce lately. But the small bottle of touch up paint did arrive and I want to give that a try (on the small spots) soon.

One of my neighbors cleans out houses after the owners die or go into a nursing home and this weekend he gave me a huge pile of stuff that he recovered from some of the houses. Including a 5600 Watt generator so now I have a pile of new gadgets all awaiting my attention. I also picked up an old dirty sword mounted on a wooden plaque from him for $5. It looked pretty rough and I wasn't sure that it wasn't some kind of reproduction so I spent a good bit of the rest of the day dismounting it, cleaning it and researching it. It eventually cleaned up nicely and it turned out to be a USMC officer's sword, probably from WW-II. So that made my weekend!

Old 06-10-2024, 08:34 PM

Sounds like a great weekend.

I tried some mail order aerosol paint matches for my Aegean Blue Metallic, and they did not look like a good match. I color matched with United Imports on different surfaces with good results. The upper sun facing surfaces get bleached lighter. For my latest Travertine Beige Metallic, I color matched from the hood; and used single stage aerosol to look good. You can probably find a local body shop supply shop that will make aerosol cans. If you use the color code under the hood, it can produce excellent matches. On my brilliant silver metallic, I used 2 stage from the color code. I painted both bumper covers. The match looks like new. I had some trouble with painting the clear coat. It hardens fast, and can form a spatter appearance.