SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: RUNNING WELL SL's ARE THE LUCKIEST

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 01:16 PM

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
SL 500 2004, Ford F-150-2014
RUNNING WELL SL's ARE THE LUCKIEST

While searching for bargains in Copart Auctions, it caught my eye a SL-500R in a yard near me. The Copart description for the damage is "hail damage" which for the unsuspecting buyer may be a good buy. But after checking the VIN for history, the story of this car was completely different. It had around 13 NTSA complaints where the owners reported several ABC blowouts, a partially burned truck due to BCM fire, tank baffles rattling, engine electrical failures, transmission issues and so on. By the complaints, seems like the owners were all angry due to the accidents and the $$$ spent on repairs. Finally, the car ended as salvage in Copart.

So, as these cars age, the problems will be taking over and the known failures will drain your pockets if a proactive maintenance plan is not in place ! So, with all that said, these cars are like a Russian roulette, it is not a matter of if, but when..!

Fortunately when I purchased mine the ABC was bad and it was eliminated, a contained BCM burnt occurred few weeks back and it was replaced with a reliable system, the air pump motor and impeller replaced, roof cylinder repaired, and I keep on thinking what and when something bad will be next......in the meanwhile I will keep on cruising and letting you all know to be vigilant!
The following users liked this post:
V12orWalk (08-19-2024)