SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Topping off Coolant Question 2007 SL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E400 Coupe
Topping off Coolant Question 2007 SL550

Hi All, I've done a ton of searches on this today and can't find a totally clear answer. Granted, it might be out there, and I've missed it, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I had a leaky oil cooler gasket and what appeared to be some JB Weld attempted fix from a previous owner. I ended up replacing the oil cooler and gasket, though in the process, a decent amount of coolant was lost from the oil cooler. The coolant was a little low, and after about five minutes, I got a message to top off the coolant in the instrument cluster. I picked up some Pentosin/Fuchs, which is the correct spec for the car. However, when I opened the bottle, it was blue, whereas the current fluid was a light amber, almost clear color. Am I going to be doing any harm by mixing these two if it's the correct spec? Or would I be better off topping off with water for now?

I just did the oil cooler, oil change, the air filters, and spark plugs... I'm tired and really want to avoid flushing the colant if possible. Plus, the store only had 1.5 liters of the Petosin, so I'd need to order it, putting the convertible out of service for the week.

Thank you!